Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-31-2022, 04:28 AM   #1
adlqgn
adlqgn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Device books not listed

Hello,

I'm experiencing issue when connecting my device to my computer.

My specs:
  • Computer OS: macOS Monterey 12.1
  • Calibre version: calibre 7.7.1
  • Device: Kobo Clara HD 4.34.20097

My calibre plugins:
  • KoboTouch (2.5.1)
  • KePub Output
  • Keput Metadata Reader
  • Kepub Metadata Writer
  • Kobo Utilities (2.16.6)

My scenario:
  1. Factory reset the Kobo Clara HD
  2. Sent to Device one ePub in KEPUB format
  3. Checked kepub: correctly flagged as "In Library"
  4. Checked kepub in the Finder repository
  5. Ejected the device
  6. KEPUB is showing in the device
  7. Plugged the device back on the computer
  8. Go in Calibre "Device" tab
  9. No books are showing. While the kepub is still in the Finder repository

I have tried enabling/disabling the KoboTouch plugin as I read that in another thread, but no change.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Can anyone help?

Thanks.
adlqgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:21 AM   #2
adlqgn

Update:

I ran a device database check and it turns out the database was "malformed".
I signed out of kobo account and then back in, it seems to have fixed the issue, for now...
Advert
Old 11-01-2022, 10:23 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlqgn View Post
Update:

I ran a device database check and it turns out the database was "malformed".
I signed out of kobo account and then back in, it seems to have fixed the issue, for now...
If you use Kobo Utilities, you can have it backup the database when you connect your Kobo to your Calibre library. That would mean all you'd have to do if this ever happens again is copy the last backed up database over the corrupt database.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 11:33 AM   #4
adlqgn

Hello,

Turns out I plugged it back in again = list is empty again.
I ran a database check and everything is OK. I'm out of ideas.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:15 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hello,

Turns out I plugged it back in again = list is empty again.
I ran a database check and everything is OK. I'm out of ideas.
What happens if you send another eBook to your Kobo? Does that show up?
Advert
Old 11-01-2022, 02:38 PM   #6
adlqgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What happens if you send another eBook to your Kobo? Does that show up?
No. I tried sending all of the library to the device, but the list is blank after replugging.
Old 08-26-2023, 01:05 PM   #7
adlqgn

I still have this error... Can this be linked to my specific kobo model ?

What is the most pain-free model to use with calibre?
Old 08-26-2023, 02:52 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The basic firmware is the same on all Kobo models running that firmware version.

Where are you sending the kepubs to on your Clara HD? What is the template you are using in the KoboTouch driver? I've attached an image of the first configuration page for the KT driver as I have it configured.

When you mount the device on your computer, can you see the kepub file in Finder? What version of calibre are you running? You mention 7.7.1 but that is not a calibre version (6.25 is currently the latest version and it should run on your machine).

The only reason for disabling the KoboTouch driver would be if you were using the KoboTouchExtended driver which will convert epub to kepub as they are sent to your Kobo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_touch_page_1.png
Views:	40
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	203373  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 03:55 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I still have this error... Can this be linked to my specific kobo model ?

What is the most pain-free model to use with calibre?
Are you still getting database corruptions?

Are you properly ejecting your Kobo from your calibre library? Do you wait until you are at the home (after the importing is done) screen before unplugging the USB cable?
Old 08-28-2023, 12:43 PM   #10
Gurgling2791
Gurgling2791 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra 2
I'm having the same issue with a brand new Libra 2. Sends fine from calibre and shows as "On Device" until I re-plug the Libra back in. Then it has no idea what books are on the Libra.

I am using KOReader v2023.06.01 installed via the one-click method with this if that makes a difference.

Last edited by Gurgling2791; 08-28-2023 at 12:46 PM.
Gurgling2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 12:56 PM   #11
Gurgling2791

It seems that the core of this is that the metadata.calibre file on the Libra gets overwritten and the book I just sent disappears from it when connecting back to my PC.
Old 08-28-2023, 01:18 PM   #12
Gurgling2791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurgling2791 View Post
It seems that the core of this is that the metadata.calibre file on the Libra gets overwritten and the book I just sent disappears from it when connecting back to my PC.
In fact, just using KoboUtilities and running "Refresh the list of books on the device" wipes said file back to initial state with only plato, koreader, and kfmon listed as books on the device.
Old 08-28-2023, 02:47 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you are using KOReader and not sending the books to a location accessible by Nickel (see the excluded folders item (in .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf, look for the [FeatureSettings] header and under it, ExcludeSyncFolders=\\.(?!kobo|adobe).*? for example.), Nickel is not able to access the books and it will not import them to the database.

Again, this comes down to where you are copying the books to. If you are using only KOReader to read, why bother sending kepubs since only Nickel will make use of the extra spans and so on. Perhaps not using the KoboTouch driver and using the generic driver instead would be better suited to your purposes.

Last edited by DNSB; 08-28-2023 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2023, 04:11 PM   #14
Gurgling2791

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you are using KOReader and not sending the books to a location accessible by Nickel (see the excluded folders item (in .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf, look for the [FeatureSettings] header and under it, ExcludeSyncFolders=\\.(?!kobo|adobe).*? for example.), Nickel is not able to access the books and it will not import them to the database.
I currently have
Code:
ExcludeSyncFolders=(\\.(?!kobo|adobe).+|([^.][^/]*/)+\\..+)
Calibre is putting the books in /mnt/onboard right now. Though I would like to change that... not sure how to do so to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Again, this comes down to where you are copying the books to. If you are using only KOReader to read, why bother sending kepubs since only Nickel will make use of the extra spans and so on. Perhaps not using the KoboTouch driver and using the generic driver instead would be better suited to your purposes.
Ah understood. I went with kepub because, from my understanding, it will show how much approx time is left in a chapter. I found that valuable in a kindle and wanted to continue. KOReader can't do that with epub, can it?
Old 08-28-2023, 05:55 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I currently have
Code:
ExcludeSyncFolders=(\\.(?!kobo|adobe).+|([^.][^/]*/)+\\..+)
Calibre is putting the books in /mnt/onboard right now. Though I would like to change that... not sure how to do so to be honest.
If you look at the image I attached earlier for the KoboTouch driver, the Save template controls the addition of books to the Kobo ereader. My current template is:

Code:
Elib/{author_sort:sublist(0,1,&)}/{title} - {authors:sublist(0,1,&)}
Elib is a directory in the root of the exposed partition. Inside that a directory is created based on the first entry in the author-sort list (this keeps the file paths shorter) and the file is created with the filename as title - first author in the author list (again, this keeps the file paths shorter).

There are limits on the number of directory entries in the root of a FAT32 partition which is why I use the Elib directory.

Quote:
Ah understood. I went with kepub because, from my understanding, it will show how much approx time is left in a chapter. I found that valuable in a kindle and wanted to continue. KOReader can't do that with epub, can it?
That I'm not certain on since I don't use KOReader. Perhaps someone else who uses KOReader will answer that for you.

Tags
book list, calibre, kobo clara hd, scan device