Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I'm annoyed - Extension/angle cords don't activate Vox charge light

The micro USB right angle and extension cords I ordered do not activate the Vox charge light when used with the 2 amp charger.

They do work just fine to charge my Kobo Touch though. And they work just fine to use the Vox's USB connection as I can see it in Windows.

Now will it charge even though the light is off and hooked up to the wall charger? I don't know that as I just received the cables in the mail.

I'm rather annoyed at Kobo. They ship a cable that is a few feet too short and now this. There are no options for extension cords from their website.

Now possibly the reason is that 2 amps through a micro USB cable could conceivably overheat the cable or the ends. I suspect the 2 amps is outside the USB design specs.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
r.bares
r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo touch
500mA is the USB design spec, some desktop motherboards are able to provide more than this for charging purposes but it is not something that a device should rely on
r.bares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm sure what we are seeing is some non-standard wiring in their USB cable; something like a resistor between some of the leads.

Take a look at http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=19630 especially http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopi...=149425#149425 and also http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=9346 for what was needed for a Garmin GPS cable.

I'm not saying this IS what is needed; just a link to what has worked for other devices.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Libra Color, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Note this post from KoboJason in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJason View Post
The Kobo Vox is designed to charge the most efficiently with the included wall charger.

Although we don't recommend using a 3rd party charger, the Vox will charge using a 3rd party charger provided:
‣ the charger used is a wall-charger and not a standard USB cable
‣ the charger supplies 2 amps

Note the charging light will not show the reader is charging when using a 3rd party charger but know it's still receiving a charge.
Larry
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But why would a cable inserted between the Vox charger cable and the Vox not work? That's among the things that puzzles me.

(Later: added the word charger)

Last edited by TonyToews; 12-07-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
But why would a cable inserted between the Vox cable and the Vox not work? That's among the things that puzzles me.
The Kobo connector and socket appear to have contacts in all 5 positions. Normally #4 is not used, which may be the case with generic cables.

Read this:

http://www.cygnal.org/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000248.html
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
r.bares
r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo touch
Atleast when HTC modified their connections it still operated as a standard port when necessary.

So basically, the Kobo Vox does not charge by USB - period. That is very disappointing as I am currently purchasing one today for my girlfriend as a christmas present. I already had some serious reservations over battery life and this is compounding my concerns.

p.s. to clarify why I have said this, if it doesnt work within spec, as far as I am concerned it has no right to reference the technology it fails to implement correctly.

Last edited by r.bares; 12-09-2011 at 05:45 AM.
r.bares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The Kobo Vox is not alone in this. Computer USB ports are underpowered, in general, for tablets.

You may want to check out CSQUID cables. From this webpage:http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...charge-611576/

Quote:
Just want to clarify something....most USB ports on PCs today are able to deliver between 1.5-2A. However just because they can does not mean that that is what you are charging at. So what happens?

When you plug any device into the PC (playbook phone etc) you hear a "THE-DUNK" sound...that tells the PC there is a USB device and it automatically limits the current to 0.5A. This is not enough to charge most tablets (ipad, playbook etc).

There are solutions out there like the CSQUID cable which I have where the PC can deliver the 1.5A required and charges as fast as the wall...The extra feature that you also get with this is that no software or drivers are needed and the PC can actually be in Standby and still charge your device...

So in reality you do not NEED to take the wall adapters around.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Does it matter? It has no bearing on how often the Vox has to be charged, and a charger is bundled with it. Even if could be charged by USB, it would take longer.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.bares View Post
So basically, the Kobo Vox does not charge by USB - period. That is very disappointing
The spec for USB port power is 500ma. The Vox charger output is 2.0 amps (2000ma). Computer USB ports are not intended to be 5 volt, 2 amp power sources. It's as simple as that. Vox isn't the only device that won't charge from a standard 500ms USB port. However, it is a shame that it won't even trickle charge if you're prepared to wait half a day.

It's sort of like trying to charge a Tesla electric sports car from a 115 volt 15 amp wall outlet. Or cooking a meal for half a day and it's eaten in 15 minutes.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
However, it is a shame that it won't even trickle charge if you're prepared to wait half a day.
It did that for me with my phone charger. I turned off the Vox, and plugged my Moto 0.5A charger over night. When I turned the Vox back on at around 8 in the morning, battery was at 10%. At 17h it was still at 10%, with occasional use and died a few minutes later.
Somebody in the hacking thread had reported that a 100% Vox on a USB plug remained at 100% after hours of work over ADB.

Don't forget that at 5V cable length is crucial. For example, an 8 foot cable in my Moto, plugged into a 1A charger, will make the Moto think it is being charged, but its' battery actually decreases.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
geeksquadofun
geeksquadofun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
The spec for USB port power is 500ma. The Vox charger output is 2.0 amps (2000ma). Computer USB ports are not intended to be 5 volt, 2 amp power sources. It's as simple as that. Vox isn't the only device that won't charge from a standard 500ms USB port. However, it is a shame that it won't even trickle charge if you're prepared to wait half a day.

It's sort of like trying to charge a Tesla electric sports car from a 115 volt 15 amp wall outlet. Or cooking a meal for half a day and it's eaten in 15 minutes.
Hopefully within a few years, the specs for USB will be updated to provide more than .5A to .9A (current specs for USB2 & 3) on the USB port and keep them live, even when the computer is turned off - and some already do that - so we can charge our monster cell phones, tablets or e-readers...
geeksquadofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #13
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
However, it is a shame that it won't even trickle charge if you're prepared to wait half a day.

It's called a crock pot or slow cooker. But I see no reason why the Vox couldn't charge over night from a laptop port.

In particular because we all know that folks are going to be traveling and forget their Kobo charger at home or in the hotel room. A cheapo USB micro cable and a laptop or external AC to USB charger could offer so much more flexibility rather than the person being very disgruntled.