Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I need help with a slow computer

This one has me baffled.

My computer is slow today and I cannot figure out why. Here's what I know so far:
  • Spybot didn't find anything
  • McAfee didn't find anything
  • CPU usage is fine (50% to 80%)
  • RAM is fine
  • hard disk has plenty of space, and was defragmented not too long ago

The only really odd thing is that Firefox is buggy. I can either click on the contents of the Window or I can click on the menu bar. I'm stuck with Opera until I get this fixed.

Any ideas? I'm desperate.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Have you tried a ctrl-alt-del and looked in the Task Manager to see if anything unfamiliar is running, or of something is sucking up lots of CPU time? (Edit, I see you have checked CPU time.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Go to run and type msconfig and get rid of half the crap in startup you dont need.

Instead of spybot you should download SUPERAntiSpyware. It is free and works just like spybot but it doesnt only detect the easy to find stuff like Spybot does. It is better software.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Also try malwarebytes - there's free versions of it and superantispyware - I run both!

Also - if you have a symantec anti-virus program -- sometimes they go wild and hog all your CPU. Windows update manager can too.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

superantispyware will detect 100 problems to spybot's 1.

Awesome software. I am even going to send them a 20 dollar paypal donation I like it so much.

It is just as easy to use.
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
[Deleted post]

Whoops! I went off on a mini rant about McAfee ... when it was Norton 360 that I know bogs down systems.

Sorry.

Move along now ... nothing to see here.

Last edited by Mickey330; 08-27-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: I can't read?
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll try your suggestions (except for msconfig because I already do it), but here's the thing: if this is malware of some kind then it's smart enough to fake Windows Task Manager and show only 50% CPU usage.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
happy_terd
Banned

The usual suspects involved with slowing down a PC (feel free to add a couple...this top of head):

Slow processor
Hard drive errors or problems (no room or very fragmented)
Too many programs or processes running
Malicious programs
Not enough RAM

I think that is all of the most common issues.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Task Manager and show only 50% CPU usage.
What CPU/how many cores do you have? If you have even a half-way modern CPU, 50% to 80% usage is a MASSIVE amount of computational power being used. On my computer (Phenom II, 4 cores running at 2.6 GHz) normal background level of CPU usage while running several "low-demand" programs (web browser, word processor, etc) is around 2 or 3 percent utilization. Playing a full-screen DVD-resolution Divx takes up only around 2 to 4 percent. If you aren't running some sort of media-encoding software and something it typing up 50% to 80% of your CPU, something is seriously wrong.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
What CPU/how many cores do you have? If you have even a half-way modern CPU, 50% to 80% usage is a MASSIVE amount of computational power being used. On my computer (Phenom II, 4 cores running at 2.6 GHz) normal background level of CPU usage while running several "low-demand" programs (web browser, word processor, etc) is around 2 or 3 percent utilization. Playing a full-screen DVD-resolution Divx takes up only around 2 to 4 percent. If you aren't running some sort of media-encoding software and something it typing up 50% to 80% of your CPU, something is seriously wrong.
I have a 1.7GHz Pentium-M. (multi-core? what's that?)

Hey kid, back in my day i ran my computer on an apple core, and I was happy to have it. Heck, when I first got started all I had was a peach pit.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
Go to run and type msconfig and get rid of half the crap in startup you dont need.
I did this again and shut down a couple more services and startup options. It seems to have cleared up the problem. Thanks.

It's not a solution, but at least it gives me time to actually fix the problem. Thank you.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #12
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
Instead of spybot you should download SUPERAntiSpyware. It is free and works just like spybot but it doesnt only detect the easy to find stuff like Spybot does. It is better software.
Thanks for the reco...I especially like that this can be run from a USB drive without installing yet another piece of software.

I'll be honest, though, if this hadn't been recommended here (and seconded), I doubt I would have tried it. The website looks cheesy and would have made me thought it was one of those fake spyware programs!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Thanks for the reco...I especially like that this can be run from a USB drive without installing yet another piece of software.

I'll be honest, though, if this hadn't been recommended here (and seconded), I doubt I would have tried it. The website looks cheesy and would have made me thought it was one of those fake spyware programs!
That's what I thought. If I hadn't been desperate I would have avoided it even though it had been recommended.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:54 PM   #14
nachtxeule
Enthusiast
nachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3.
get chrome, firefox stinks anyways
nachtxeule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:03 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtxeule View Post
get chrome, firefox stinks anyways
Chrome is all rusty.

I have a version of Firefox compiled to run on SSE2 based CPUs and it runs very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote