Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
What sort of person is a pocket book best suited for

My premise is that there is no one best ereader for all people, which is the best for you depends on what you want and what you need. What sort of person is a Pocket Book best for?

I would say from the look of the pocket book web site that pocket books are for people that like a lot of choices in their reader models. There are quite a lot of different models and there are some eink and some LCD. I also do not see a book store run by pocketbooks, a pocket book would be good for someone that wants to be able to shop around for their books.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
Dimitko
Dimitko can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Dimitko can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Dimitko can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Dimitko can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Dimitko can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Dimitko can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Dimitko can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Dimitko can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Dimitko can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Dimitko can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Dimitko can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Pocketbook 626 Touch Lux 2
I'm a software developer and as such I appreciate how 'open' has my pocketbook been made. It supports most open formats. It does not restrict the user from seeing the os 'internals' and install any kind of software to it. They have even released the dev kits for some of their devices. As a result many developers are creating/porting aplications and releasing them in the community (cool reader, terminal emulator...). I was able to created my custom keyboard layout just by creating a text file on the device. In comparison with other vendors the devices of which have to be rooted, jail broken or paid a fee for, before one could write in his mother tongue or do anything with the device at all, the guys from pb seem to have a different vision. They're creating a community by allowing the clients to get the most of their devices, without limiting them with proprietary book/dictionary formats or markets. This comes at some cost and is maybe not for everyone, but in my eyes is much better:-)
Dimitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
@Dimitko: I mostly agree with you, but PocketBook have not released an updated version of their SDK in many years. Since then, devices are going multitouch, and some of the configuration menu structures have changed. It makes it difficult to develop for the newest devices.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
GypsyJon
Enthusiast
GypsyJon began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Book Pro 902
I originally bought my PocketBook Pro 902 to read scientific journal articles in PDF.

Once I started using it for that I also started buying eBooks. It will interpret so many formats that I thing it is the best thing since bottled beer.

When the Ink Pad comes out, I think I will order one, since it has a much lighter screen than my 902. Nonetheless, I use the 902 every day and it performs well.
GypsyJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
PO40600
Enthusiast
PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note II & Note Pro 12.2, PocketBook Touch Lux, PB Touch,Odysse
The main quality of the PocketBook eReaders are their capability to manage folders and subfolders, and sub-sub-folders.

It's a specification which is precious for all the users who want to handle a huge library (several thousand) of books. You can have a multi-level hierarchy.

TO my eyes, the only weak point are the 2 readers : FB Reader and Adobe reader. I add CoolReader and it's now my default reader.

I have a Pocketbook touch, and a pocketbook touch lux (with light). Both are very well made. No problem with intensive readings. Good screen quality. I've added a micro SDHC card, and no slowing with handling my huge library (very huge).
PO40600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert