Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-30-2022, 11:32 PM   #1
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
Multiple Amazon Accounts

For the past ten years or so, I've been buying ebooks on Amazon Kindle, and digital comic books and graphic novels on Comixology. Between the two, they total several thousand.

Well, for those that don't know, back in February, Amazon and Comixology merged. Now all of my ebooks, comic books, and graphic novels are all in one great, big library, with no way to filter out either ebooks or comic books and graphic novels. Worse, Amazon keeps sending comic books and graphic novels to my Oasis, which can't even properly display them. Since the comic books and graphic novels contain many pictures, the file sizes are also huge, filling my Oasis' storage. It's gotten so bad that I've just stopped buying on Amazon entirely and stopped reading because the ebooks, comic books, and graphic novels are just so jumbled together.

So, here's what I'm thinking: I'll deregister my Oasis. Make a new Amazon account for ebooks and general use, and then make a second new Amazon account strictly for digital comic books and graphic novels. Since Amazon won't separate them, I will. Any new purchases will be made on those accounts, and I'll slowly, over a period of years, re-buy the ebooks, comic books, and graphic novels that I wish to re-read.

Does anyone see an issue with that plan? 'Cause the current situation is ludicrous. You can read more about it here if you wish. If only Amazon didn't have a monopoly on digital comic books and graphic novels...
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:55 PM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Seems like a drastic plan.

Why not simply delete the comic books off your Oasis? IIRC you can do this from the amazon website if it is too fiddly on the Oasis. There are also settings to disable synchronization across devices, which is probably the issue for you.

You can create Collections and place your comic books in Collections. Also easily done on Amazon website.

I have never used it, but you can create a Household/Family library and send your comics or your ebooks to a second library. Keep one for ebooks, one for comic books.

Seems a waste to create 2 new accounts, then "re-purchasing" the titles you already purchased.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2022, 07:36 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Two accounts works better because with Amazon Web & ereader UI changes a danger is that "deleting" deletes completely.

There is no way to stop Amazon sending stuff to the default ereader other than never turning on WiFi. I find that an abuse of my bandwidth as I ALWAYS download to PC after purchase. Which is now broken; you have to go to My Content & Devices.

There are disadvantages to a Family account too. So we have three separate Amazon accounts.

With Amazon now, if you want to be in control, never turn on WiFi, never use Send To Kindle, always download and use Calibre.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:19 AM   #4
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Air3 & Palma, Scribe & Paperwhite, Eclipsa 2e, & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparition B5 View Post
Does anyone see an issue with that plan? 'Cause the current situation is ludicrous.
Sounds like rewarding everyone behind the scenes by buying stuff twice.

I have a paperwhite that I keep on 'airplane' mode, and just use for sideloading, so don't have any troubles with Amazon sending stuff to it. (It's usually the opposite. With wifi turned on, I try to send stuff to it that never arrives.) I have Kindle4PC as the default app to send stuff to.

Do you use 'Collections' at all on Amazon? I have some comic books in with my regular books, and keep them sorted under "Graphic". And only download them in Kindle apps on tablets. Haven't done that for a long time, so maybe that wouldn't work for me either, anymore.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:32 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
There are disadvantages to a Family account too. So we have three separate Amazon accounts.
And there are advantages. Like only one account needs Prime, Then all the family get access to Prime Video, and Prime shipping as well as other things.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2022, 12:32 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

There is no way to stop Amazon sending stuff to the default ereader other than never turning on WiFi. ...
If one has a PC, can't you specify Kindle for PC as the default device (and never open Kindle for PC)? Or have it delivered to your phone/tablet kindle app (and don't open the app)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 12:58 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If one has a PC, can't you specify Kindle for PC as the default device (and never open Kindle for PC)? Or have it delivered to your phone/tablet kindle app (and don't open the app)?
Even though you have to choose a default device, why not have the content sent to the desired device on purchase, or better yet, send it to Kindle Cloud Reader until you’re ready to download?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:16 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Even though you have to choose a default device, why not have the content sent to the desired device on purchase, or better yet, send it to Kindle Cloud Reader until you’re ready to download?
I use Kindle Cloud Reader as my default device.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:30 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I can't install Kindle for PC, so I can't register it. But that might work for some people. Except I note the Kindle Android App starts on boot, not waiting till you open it!
Old 05-31-2022, 09:46 PM   #10
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
My default is "deliver to - My Kindle Library -" so unless I select something else nothing actually downloads until I request it.

Wouldn't this suit you?
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:58 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Browser pretty much ignores default device and goes to Your Kindle Library for me. Once in awhile it picks something else (which is not the default device set in Manage Devices).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:47 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
My default is "deliver to - My Kindle Library -" so unless I select something else nothing actually downloads until I request it.

Wouldn't this suit you?
That's not on the list of options I have. Also currently selecting "Download can copy via PC" does nothing, download is gone. You have to go to "My Content and Devices" and "more" to download. "One Click", eh? Also why no Basket option for ebooks so there is only one bank transaction and order email?
Old 06-01-2022, 08:40 AM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
"One Click", eh? Also why no Basket option for ebooks so there is only one bank transaction and order email?
The reason I’d like a basket option is to keep me from phantom purchases, where a random touch one-clicks. They can be undone, but it’s a nuisance and I have to know I did it - and I don’t, always.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:25 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The reason I’d like a basket option is to keep me from phantom purchases, where a random touch one-clicks. They can be undone, but it’s a nuisance and I have to know I did it - and I don’t, always.
That's a good reason too, though I've no sites on phone/tablet with purchasing with login. I only purchase on PC or Laptop.
Old 06-03-2022, 02:45 PM   #15
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
That's not on the list of options I have. Also currently selecting "Download can copy via PC" does nothing, download is gone. You have to go to "My Content and Devices" and "more" to download. "One Click", eh? Also why no Basket option for ebooks so there is only one bank transaction and order email?
That's weird. For me, it's under the One-Click button. Deliver to: Then the default for me is "Your Kindle Library". The pull down will bring up options for each kindle or app I have.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote