Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 09-01-2014, 07:08 AM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Playaway Digital Audio Book - what is it? Other comments ...

My Library has got the 2005, 2008, version of The End of the Affair (Graham Greene) narrated by Michael Kitchen, and the format is 'sound media player'. Which is described as a 'Playaway digital audio book'. What is that?

Here's the link to what is possibly a photo of a Playaway device.

Edit
Anyone used this device before? It appears that the audio file is preloaded, and I guess therefore inaccessible.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
My Library has got the 2005, 2008, version of The End of the Affair (Graham Greene) narrated by Michael Kitchen, and the format is 'sound media player'. Which is described as a 'Playaway digital audio book'. What is that?

Here's the link to what is possibly a photo of a Playaway device.

Edit
Anyone used this device before? It appears that the audio file is preloaded, and I guess therefore inaccessible.
Some of my libraries have/had them, but I've never used them. It's an older technology being phased out now that digital downloads are here. Essentially, it's an MP3 player loaded with one or more audiobooks. You physically check them out from the library like you would a paper book. The library supplies the battery and you supply the headphones.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
Piepan
Connoisseur
Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the middle of MN
Device: Kindle Fire HD6, Kindle Fire HD (Gen1), KT (original), KK, iPhone
Yes, I've seen them at our library. (There is a clearer image of what it looks like on wikipedia BTW). On the shelf they come in a book-ly looking case so AudioBook really fits it visually, in its box. Plug in headphones to your "book" and play-away. Ha ha. Quite clever for libraries. And yes. No access to the file. No discs either. Quite clever for the publisher too.
Piepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
It's a nice technology for the visually impaired and tech challenged individuals. Pricing is similar to audio CDs, so it's more expensive than downloadable MP3s.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
I've used a few, and it seems that the batteries generally die before I can finish the book, but maybe I just have bad timing.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert