Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Cover for PRS-505

They say that inanimate objects don't have hearts.
One year ago when we decided to sell our house water tank in attic started to leak.
This time when I decided to buy a new ebook reader, a plastic bit that holds my PRS-505 in its original cover broke. Nothing spectacular. I noticed it by accident. It didn't even fall off complete yet.
Go figure...

Anyway, sorry for digression, back to the topic.
I would like to buy a new cover for the reader. It is going to be inherited by my better 2/3s, so I need a replacement.
So far, I have found only Tuff-luv. It is not too bad, but I would prefer to have some choice.
Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
A.

P.S. Please don't suggest lighted covers.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found a couple of Sony PRS-505 leather covers on ebay but the price was wat over the top. So, I resorted to Tuff-luv. Rubbish. Doesn't stand a chance in comparison to Sony Reader's cover. Not qualitywise but ergonomics. Then again, when there are no affordable alternatives, it is better than naked reader.

However, I am very disappointed by Sony.
They don't produce PRS-505 anymore, so what? Let's stop supporting its accessories and screw up/let down all people who bought it?
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I bought a standard Sony 600 cover for 505 and it works well.

How about one of these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+C...&skuId=9462397
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I bought a standard Sony 600 cover for 505 and it works well.

How about one of these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+C...&skuId=9462397
I have paid the price and started to use the cover, so I will have to live with it. I didn't know 600's cover would fit 505.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I have paid the price and started to use the cover, so I will have to live with it. I didn't know 600's cover would fit 505.
If you bought one specifically for the 505, I think you will be happier than if you had bought a 600 cover. When I bought my wife her 300, I accidentally bought a 600 case. Instead of bothering to return the case, I figured I'd just give it to my mom who has a 600. I tried to fit the 505 in the 600 case, and it does fit, however there is a slight amount of play in between the unit and the case clips. I sure wouldn't trust it to stay securely locked in place...
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 04:04 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
If you bought one specifically for the 505, I think you will be happier than if you had bought a 600 cover. When I bought my wife her 300, I accidentally bought a 600 case. Instead of bothering to return the case, I figured I'd just give it to my mom who has a 600. I tried to fit the 505 in the 600 case, and it does fit, however there is a slight amount of play in between the unit and the case clips. I sure wouldn't trust it to stay securely locked in place...
Ah. That's what I thought, but I was not sure, so could not argue.
Thanks for making me feel better
Old 09-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
Prest0
Prest0 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Astra,

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday. I dropped my 505 at the gym and it popped out of its case for the first time since I've owned it. I snapped it back in and (after a scare with the power button) thought that everything was fine. Then I dropped it again today (I'm usually not this clumsy with my reader!) and it popped out again. This time I saw that the top plastic clip had become bent and wasn't holding the reader in place. I came here because I knew if anyone would have advice on cases it would be MobileRead.
Prest0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prest0 View Post
Astra,

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday. I dropped my 505 at the gym and it popped out of its case for the first time since I've owned it. I snapped it back in and (after a scare with the power button) thought that everything was fine. Then I dropped it again today (I'm usually not this clumsy with my reader!) and it popped out again. This time I saw that the top plastic clip had become bent and wasn't holding the reader in place. I came here because I knew if anyone would have advice on cases it would be MobileRead.
This is the same thing that happened to me; I dropped it, it landed on it's corner, and the tab bent out - eventually, the reader started falling out of the cover. This was with the original 505 cover.

I bought the 600 cover and have been using it for the past 6 months. It is a little loose, but it's been working well and I don't expect it to start popping out.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prest0 View Post
Astra,

Wriststrap! It's worth twice it's weight in gold! Really... just get yourself a wriststrap and attach it to the 505.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
The plastic tab on the case of my PRS-505 broke. When I wnt to Sony, they looked up the case in the spare parts list and gave me a price of about $330. I fixed it with some adhesive velcro. Last year I went to Sony looking for the AC power supply. I had my 505 with me so i convinced the salesman to try a 600 cover on my 505 since they appeared to be the same size. It is a perfect fit.

I was in Futureshop today and they a flogging the covers for the 300 and 600 for $30. I think this is $10 off the usual price. They have no 350's or 650's and are selling the 300 and 600 for $150 and $200. Maybe the current models will go cheaper once the new ones arrive.

A wriststrap is always a good idea.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #11
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I'll dig thru my junk drawer and see ifI still have that 505 cover if you want...I think it was blue.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:41 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert

What a nuisance. After I bought tuff-luv, on ebay, somebody sells black leather covers for the same price ....no bidding, just buy it. I wish I didn't see it.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Too bad you came into the PRS-505 so late. There used to be leather covers in multiple colors, Dooney and Bourke covers that were pretty nice, special leather covers, and a cover with a built in light, though it was really expensive. Not sure you can still buy any of them though.

For example -- http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...2086&langId=-1

Last edited by nathantw; 09-24-2010 at 12:53 PM.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #14
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantw View Post
Too bad you came into the PRS-505 so late. There used to be leather covers in multiple colors, Dooney and Bourke covers that were pretty nice, special leather covers, and a cover with a built in light, though it was really expensive. Not sure you can still buy any of them though.

For example -- http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...2086&langId=-1
A tiny correction, you meant to say: too bad the cover held for 2 years and 8 months!
I have the Dooney and Bourke cover in my favourites...I just could not afford to pay $150 for the red one. When they dropped the price the red covers disappeared almost at once.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
MasterGame
Enthusiast
MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-350
If any of you are still looking for a cover for a PRS-505, see this thread I just posted about M-Edge covers on clearance sale at BestBuy.com.
MasterGame is offline   Reply With Quote