Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
FauxTaimer
FauxTaimer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How cheap would a double used Kindle be for you to buy it?

So, buying a used Kindle... very dangerous and most people are saying don't bother unless it was cheap and you could get in contact with the seller after the fact... but what about double used? Would you buy a used Kindle from someone who said they purchased it used and has had no issues with it whatsoever since they've had it? How cheap would a used K3 have to be in this situation before you're willing to give it consideration? Or is it just too dirty to even consider at that point?
FauxTaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I don't know if dirty is exactly the right word. I think by far most kindle re-sells probably go off without a hitch. People are just far more likely to post about their bad experiences than report on a non-event.

Thread Title: I bought a used Kindle and ..... it works just fine!

It just doesn't have the drama.

I personally wouldn't go to that much trouble over it because it just isn't worthwhile anymore in my opinion. You can get a brand new with warranty Kindle for under $100 now. But if somebody that I recognize around here wants to offer me a Kindle Keyboard for $20 with the promise I can send a Moderator after them if I can't register it, I'll paypal you the funds asap.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Considering that you can get a new one with warranty for $79 I wouldn't pay more than $20 for WiFi only version and $50 for 3G.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
FauxTaimer
FauxTaimer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The thing about factory warranty is that I've never really had to use them. Everything I've purchased has never been a lemon or never crapped out within warranty... maybe I'm lucky... but then I've had things crap out right after warranty, and I'm talking within the week after warranty expired, so maybe I'm not so lucky. I personally dont value the factory warranty all that much, but appreciate it's existence, because without it, I'm sure there would be a lot more issues with products not lasting as long as they should. I actually value the 30 day return policy of new items more than the factory warranty since I do return things after buying them (buyers remorse).
FauxTaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
naypalm
Enthusiast
naypalm began at the beginning.

Device: K3G v3.1 jb
3 fitty?
naypalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
You're best bet is to look on Ebay completed listings and use that to come up with your price. Had I sold my 3G which is just had one owner and is like new condition with lighted cover and ADH till 12/12 I would of asked $115 out of it.

The new Kindle is not as quality as the Kindle Keyboard. I mean it's nice but it just hasn't got all bells and whistles of the K3. The construction isn't as solid either. Will the Kindle Touch be as nice I have my doubts now I've had my hands on the K4 but I am hoping Amazon proves me wrong on this one.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxTaimer View Post
The thing about factory warranty is that I've never really had to use them. Everything I've purchased has never been a lemon or never crapped out within warranty... maybe I'm lucky... but then I've had things crap out right after warranty, and I'm talking within the week after warranty expired, so maybe I'm not so lucky.
Been there, done that and have the T-shirt. It seems things always go out after the warranty has lapsed. The only exception I know of is when my mom bought a coffee maker some yrs back. It made one cup of coffee and just quit. Needless to say she took it back.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
1st price a refirb from amazon 2nd cut that price in 1/2 3rd look at condition & age & you might go even lower
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxTaimer View Post
The thing about factory warranty is that I've never really had to use them. Everything I've purchased has never been a lemon or never crapped out within warranty... maybe I'm lucky... but then I've had things crap out right after warranty, and I'm talking within the week after warranty expired, so maybe I'm not so lucky. I personally dont value the factory warranty all that much, but appreciate it's existence, because without it, I'm sure there would be a lot more issues with products not lasting as long as they should. I actually value the 30 day return policy of new items more than the factory warranty since I do return things after buying them (buyers remorse).
Then considering your luck, the Kindle you buy will be out of warranty and will go out on you in short time.

Just how old is the Kindle you want? how much has it been used? what about scratches on the display? and how much battery life is left in it? These are things you also need to factor in.

Personally, I never buy used. I buy new and use my credit card in order to increase the warranty from 1 year to 2 years. But that's me.

With new Kindles going for $79, is it really worth the potential problems to buy something that used?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
It would have to be $0. Double used is double trouble.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Plus, I would make absolutely certain that you can register it, before you buy it.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader
Thread Title: I bought a used Kindle and ..... it works just fine!

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more threads like that though. Or maybe:

"I bought a Kindle and was pleasantly surprised to find out it supported the mobi format."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more threads like that though. Or maybe:

"I bought a Kindle and was pleasantly surprised to find out it supported the mobi format."
Yeah, but here the next post would be, "But it doesn't do epub!"
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #14
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
In general I don't do used, at most I would pay $20.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #15
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
I just sold my K3 on fleaBay - glad that a few people there were willing to take a chance on me!

In all seriousness, it's like any other used item - cheaper price, but a higher risk in case things go wrong and no warranty. In my case, as a seller, I sold it only because I prefer the smaller size of the K4, as that one can fit in my back pocket. So my K3 worked fine, I just wanted it off my hands since I figured it was going to just sit on my shelf.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote