Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Something to kick-start me again...?

I don't get to read a lot of fiction, most of the time I'm chewing away at electronic part datasheets or maybe enjoying something written by James Gleick.

The last book series I really got into was the Belgariad by Eddings, it was light reading and the story was still enjoyable ( I mean, who can't enjoy being imbued with such powers ).... sadly that was 20 years ago. Recently I picked up "His dark materials" aka "The golden compass / The subtle knife / The amber spyglass" but it didn't really draw me in as much.

The other book that stays significant in my mind was Feist's "Faerie Tale" which was one of the few books that I couldn't stop reading until the end.

So, anyone got any suggestions as to what I can expand my life with?

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
One series I have enjoyed is the Harry Potter series of books. The Hornblower books by C.S. Forester are good as well. I don't know if either series is as yet in ebook format but both are good reads I think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Have you read George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series?

Four huge books, the series is a way from being complete, but it's still some outstanding, gripping storytelling. I told myself I'd pace myself, but I couldn't. lol I zoomed through all four in <2 weeks.

HBO will be starting the series early next year, starring Sean Bean, in case you'd like to watch for it.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So far as I understand bringing HP to eBook format has been a big point of discussion for a while now. As yet no indicators that it'll happen in the short term.

Haven't seen/heard about C.S.Forester, I'll dig around for that one to check it out.

Paul.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
Have you read George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series?
I have heard of them... mmm... so the series isn't yet complete, that could drive me insane (waiting). Any indicators that they will be completed any time soon.. or ever?

paul.
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 12:33 AM   #6
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
One series I have enjoyed is the Harry Potter series of books. The Hornblower books by C.S. Forester are good as well. I don't know if either series is as yet in ebook format but both are good reads I think.
Hard to go wrong with Harry Potter, and if you're in the mood for those coming of age stories and/or enjoy mythology, another cool series that's kinda like it, and even lighter, is Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson & the Olympians series.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:36 AM   #7
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

The "coming of age" thing isn't the draw for me in this case, more the whole mythology and mystercisim.

I don't mind a good mystery/detective type story if it's centered around technological tricks and written by a good writer who knows their stuff (unlike say... "The Net" ).

Paul.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
Piper_
~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
I have heard of them... mmm... so the series isn't yet complete, that could drive me insane (waiting). Any indicators that they will be completed any time soon.. or ever?

paul.
Welll... lol No indicators that I'd put a lot of hope in. Actually, he's behind and it wouldn't surprise me if he never finishes. If you absolutely need closure on all story lines, then I'd wait until it was surely done.

Personally, the last book left me feeling OK enough about it, I'd read them again, regardless. They are just so incredibly good, it's worth it.

And that's from someone who doesn't do cliffhangers or waits well, at all. I even put off TV series until they're out on dvd so I can watch them all start to finish.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:45 AM   #9
Piper_
~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
The "coming of age" thing isn't the draw for me in this case, more the whole mythology and mystercisim.

I don't mind a good mystery/detective type story if it's centered around technological tricks and written by a good writer who knows their stuff (unlike say... "The Net" ).

Paul.
Then, have you read Neal Stephenson? The Baroque Cycle?
Nobody does it better than Stephenson.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:32 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The Dark is Rising series of books by Susan Cooper is good as well. It's based in the legends of King Arthur and is a series of 5 books.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:52 AM   #11
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Thanks everyone - I'll give it a shot and see what I can find locally - or on the Kindle.

I'll probably get into trouble though if I read them before I finish going over ToL again
Old 10-05-2010, 03:46 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
The person who knows you best must be an avid reader to be an effective author. My advice, Paul would simply be: ask your wife. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur
Georgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony touch prs600
You could try The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas - certainly something to get the brain cells ticking.

There is a book that sounds quite interesting to me which is called HyddenWorld: Spring. It's the first of 4 with the others, surprisingly enough called Summer, Autumn and Winter. It will need you to wait a while, because they are due to be published during the relevant season in 4 consecutive years. So Summer will be published next year. The inspiration for the author (William Horwood) was apparently the hidden world of the grassy bit in the middle of the motorway.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hyddenworld/...6315174&sr=8-3
Georgiegirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #14
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Thanks again everyone - I'll compile a reading least likely to contain a couple of these suggestions.

Things have gone a bit crazy around here again with worlds colliding between my "normal" job (electronics, programming) and Elita's book promotion, lovely how everyone needs you all at the same time

Paul.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #15
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Have you had a look @ Xenolith?

xenolith

Its free too!
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote