Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
How to repair a broken power "button"?

The power switch of my Glo doesn't work any more. I'm sure the Glo works, since I attached it to my PC through USB and it powered on (and now I can't power it off!)

Do you think I can open my Glo and repair the power switch? Or do you suggest me to give it to the customer service? I bought it some month ago, I think it is inside the warranty.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
That sounds like a customer service issue to me, Lucas. If the switch is broken, you need a replacement device.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Unless there is physical damage to the switch you might want to try the various resets and possibly factory reset and revert the firmware back and upgrade again, especially if you've been messing around under the hood with hacks. The switch seems to be merely connected to a polled input or an interrupt, and is obviously not a physical power disconnect. It's quite possible for the firmware to get messed up and ignore the input. I recall at least one other person posting with this problem, I believe Kobo swapped the unit out, but you should be able to resolve it if it's just a firmware goof. Worth a try anyhow.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
The power switch of my Glo doesn't work any more. I'm sure the Glo works, since I attached it to my PC through USB and it powered on (and now I can't power it off!)

Do you think I can open my Glo and repair the power switch? Or do you suggest me to give it to the customer service? I bought it some month ago, I think it is inside the warranty.
Bottom line if it is within the warranty do not mess around with it and end up bricking it. First step take your receipt and verify the warranty policy of the store you purchased it at and try to return it there. Some stores will send it to the manufacture for repair for you, it depends on the relationship they have with the company. They may offer an over counter replacement for it based on the stores policy for warranty handling (the bigger chains are most likely to do this.) Second step if nothing above works out contact Kobo and launch a formal complaint/ticket issue so that you can get a replacement asap. If your in Toronto you could always go knock on their door in person!, this could be the fastest way to proceed if you do.

But under no circumstances take it upon your self to open the unit and mess around with it especially if its under warranty. That would be like pouring oil on the fire and a guarantee that you will never ever get a replacement.

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

I don't think it's a software problem, since I didn't do nothing new. Furthermore I noticed that sometimes I can sleep - unsleep the device, even if it's difficult, so it seems a physical problem.
Advert
Old 05-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could very well be a physical issue with the switch, stuff breaks. If you can get them to replace it under warranty do so, but I'd still get it back to stock -I seem to recall seeing you posting in the Developer's Corner, that's why I suggested it might be a software issue... I mean you're going to do a factory reset to return it anyway, what harm can it do?

Best of luck!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Nope, now I'm sure it's physical, since I found the way to make it work 100% of times (I must force the switch to the top). I think I'll bring it to customer service, even if it's boring...
Old 05-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
TechniSol

Best of luck.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
BrianL
BrianL shares his or her toysBrianL shares his or her toysBrianL shares his or her toysBrianL shares his or her toysBrianL shares his or her toysBrianL shares his or her toysBrianL shares his or her toysBrianL shares his or her toysBrianL shares his or her toysBrianL shares his or her toysBrianL shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Glo
Factory reset fixes 'broken' switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Unless there is physical damage to the switch you might want to try the various resets and possibly factory reset and revert the firmware back and upgrade again, especially if you've been messing around under the hood with hacks. The switch seems to be merely connected to a polled input or an interrupt, and is obviously not a physical power disconnect. It's quite possible for the firmware to get messed up and ignore the input. I recall at least one other person posting with this problem, I believe Kobo swapped the unit out, but you should be able to resolve it if it's just a firmware goof. Worth a try anyhow.
Had exactly the same problem with a non-functioning slider switch. Just want to say that TechniSol hit the nail on the head with the Factory Reset recommendation. It takes a while but in my case that fixed it.

Thanks!
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
TechniSol

You're very welcome. Glad my blathering helped. What the heck, it can't hurt to try.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Just to add to this thread in case it helps someone else - I dropped my Glo, maybe a meter onto a wood floor, in a fairly protective leather case. The screen is fine but the slider stopped working. Sleep case worked, or paper clip to turn it on.

I tried putting pressure on the slider different ways, and ended up squeezing the front & back together. I heard a click, crossed my fingers, and lo and behold, the power slider is now making proper contact and appears to be working. It seems something had come disconnected during the fall and hopefully all is back to normal now.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
Shy_an
eReader newbie
Shy_an began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Just to add to this thread in case it helps someone else - I dropped my Glo, maybe a meter onto a wood floor, in a fairly protective leather case. The screen is fine but the slider stopped working. Sleep case worked, or paper clip to turn it on.

I tried putting pressure on the slider different ways, and ended up squeezing the front & back together. I heard a click, crossed my fingers, and lo and behold, the power slider is now making proper contact and appears to be working. It seems something had come disconnected during the fall and hopefully all is back to normal now.

I would like to second dmacmart's solution, I also dropped the Kobo Glo this morning and to be specific, pressing the front and back, between the power switch and light button helps fix the power switch.

The only problem is that mine does not click together, so I would need to press it everytime I want to turn it on/off. So it has become a childproof safe switch
Shy_an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:45 AM   #13
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I go by the Customer Service route. The switch in my Glo was broken, I sent it and I had a new Glo in a week.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #14
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Nope, now I'm sure it's physical, since I found the way to make it work 100% of times (I must force the switch to the top). I think I'll bring it to customer service, even if it's boring...
Yeah you really have to bring it there. Good decision!
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #15
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post

You just salvaged my glo.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote