Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-18-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
ImaCurious1
ImaCurious1 began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZreader V5
So Many choices - What's your recommendation?

Hi All,

If I may, I would like to request suggestions from all the people that have been happy with an e-reader they own and love.

I used to have an Astak EZreader Pro and love-love-loved it!!! Sadly it died.
Now I'm looking to replace it so I can enjoy my convenient reading once again, but i find myself overwhelmed with options (and sometimes underwhelmed with some product offerings).

I know i will be hugely disappointed if I don't enjoy my new reader as much as the last one, so hope you all have insight to help make a better decision.

I'll be honest, I'm kind of picky. I'm trying to research as much as I can but still can't tell some simple things. (ie: will a kindle or a kobo read all/any of my non-drm books?)
I have a pretty large library (I use calibre) in many formats but it has all been collected - not purchased.
What I'm looking for:
- Eink screen
- good battery life ( linux vs android as OS?)
- removable storage such as SD (I can switch out cards to change libraries)
- pdf reflow (I realize none are perfect)
- I would like to be able to rotate the screen and zoom font
- pocket sized 5"-6" screen or (120x165x20cm)/(4.75"x6.5"x0.75") in case

currently I've been looking at the Onyx AfterGlow 2 and the Energy Sistem Ereader Pro. My concern with these are primarily battery life and I really don't need all the extra functionality they offer.

Any wisdom?

Curtis
ImaCurious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Kindles and Kobos read two different formats, so neither one will read every possible book. Kindles use mobi format, or a variant of it, and Kobo uses ePub. You can convert formats, if necessary, by using Calibre or another program.

Few ereaders have SD card capability. PDF reflow is another potential problem. I think Kobo does it on the fly, Kindle requires that you convert the whole document beforehand, via emailing it to your Kindle. Very easy.

I don't know what OS the Kobo uses. Eink Kindles use Linux.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
But one tablet can read every book as it can run multiple reader apps . both amazon and kobo provide free apps
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:59 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But, tablets aren't eink.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #5
ImaCurious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Kindles and Kobos read two different formats, so neither one will read every possible book. Kindles use mobi format, or a variant of it, and Kobo uses ePub. You can convert formats, if necessary, by using Calibre or another program.

Few ereaders have SD card capability. PDF reflow is another potential problem. I think Kobo does it on the fly, Kindle requires that you convert the whole document beforehand, via emailing it to your Kindle. Very easy.

I don't know what OS the Kobo uses. Eink Kindles use Linux.
Hi Susan, thanks for the replay. I know there are differences between the Kindle and Kobo world and each offer their pros and cons. Everyone will have their own preferences for sure...
... What I had meant is that I hadn't been looking at these major brands because I was worried that they would only work with book/content purchased from their own bookstores or at least having a DRM signature.

Do you know if either would read a DRM-stripped e-book?
Advert
Old 03-19-2015, 06:33 PM   #6
ImaCurious1

Can anyone offer their experience with either the Onyx AfterGlow 2 or the Energy Sistem Ereader Pro with respect to battery life and usability?
Old 03-19-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard

Of course they work with non-DRM books.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaCurious1 View Post
I have a pretty large library (I use calibre) in many formats but it has all been collected - not purchased.

Curtis
I must admit, I'm curious about what "collected--not purchased" means. If it's public domain, it's easy enough to download in another format if that's easier than converting and sideloading.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:26 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
But, tablets aren't eink.
true, but they meet all the other requirements. depends which ones the OP regards as must haves, as I suspect nothing will tick every box on his list
e.g. kindles don't accept SDs, Kobo Hd / H20 does not do screen rotate.....
Old 03-20-2015, 02:31 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the OP is not in the US and the OP does use Overdrive, then a Kindle is right out.

Since you want removable storage, Kindles are right out. Kobo does have removable storage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:55 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the OP is not in the US and the OP does use Overdrive, then a Kindle is right out.

Since you want removable storage, Kindles are right out. Kobo does have removable storage.
but my aura HD does not do the landscape / portrait screen rotate thing. I dunno if that is true for ALL Kobo models though.

methinks the requirements will have to be prioritized , otherwise with Kindle & Kobo both eliminated there's not a lot left....
Old 03-20-2015, 03:43 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
but my aura HD does not do the landscape / portrait screen rotate thing. I dunno if that is true for ALL Kobo models though.

methinks the requirements will have to be prioritized , otherwise with Kindle & Kobo both eliminated there's not a lot left....
True that. It looks like there isn't much choice if the OP has to have all of the features.

Of course, the OP could try to find a refurbished or overstock Sony T1, T2, or T3 as they do everything on his list.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:30 AM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Cybook muse might do. But i'm not really sure about reflow quality, don't use it much.
Seams laggy.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:34 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
True that. It looks like there isn't much choice if the OP has to have all of the features.

Of course, the OP could try to find a refurbished or overstock Sony T1, T2, or T3 as they do everything on his list.
many of the sony readers sill in circulation will have almost end-of-life batteries by now, so it's a probable fail on battery life, unless opened up & a new one fitted ( tricky)
Old 03-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #15
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
The Energy Sistem Ereader Pro is actually a re-branded device that goes under multiple names. There's a thread here about experiences with them. Page 7 of the thread has some information about recent updates to the device. The whole thread is worth reading if you're particularly interested, though.
delph is offline   Reply With Quote