Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
beowulf573
Addict
beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
Need to register new account?

I have an old sony account that I used with my PRS-500 and PRS-505. Yesterday I bought a PRS-T1, downloaded the Reader software for my Mac and was able to login on the Mac with my old account. I can see my two old devices under the account overview in the Reader software, but don't see an option for adding a new device.

The Reader software won't sync saying I must login first, even though I've already logged in, and I cannot login with this account at all on the device over wifi. Can I use this old account or do I have to re-register with a new one? I was hoping I could downloaded the books I purchased as DRM'd LRF as ePubs.

Not the end of the world if I can't, but it would be annoying.
beowulf573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
beowulf573, you should not need to create a new account. You have two options to register your T1.

One option is via Wi-fi. Click on the Reader Store icon on the home screen. It should prompt you to create a new account or use an existing account. Login with the same email address and password that you used to access your account in the Reader for Mac software.

Another option is via USB cable. Here are instructions from the Sony website. Also, when you attached the T1, select the icon on the screen for data transfer so that the Sony software recognizes it.
http://ebooks.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/91
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
beowulf573
Addict
beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks, unfortunately neither works. The login on the device says an error has occurred and to try again later. No error code, only a generic message.

Trying via USB and the desktop software, I see the device along the top with My Library and Store, but not on the account page as an unknown device that can be added.

This is on a Mac, perhaps this is a bug with the Mac software. I'll dig out a Windows laptop later. However, I get the feeling there's an issue with the account.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
beowulf573
Addict

Ha! And of course as soon as I tried again it worked over wifi. Had tried that a dozen times with reboots in between and never worked until I publicly complained about it. Never fails.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad it's working for you now! Enjoy your new T1!

I'm a Mac user (MBP with OS X 10.5.8). Interesting, maybe there is a bug in the Reader for Mac software. When I go to my account page, it does not give me the option to deauthorize either my computer or my T1 like it does in the old Reader Library software. It only lets me rename them. Maybe that's why you didn't see an authorization option either? Very odd. I never noticed before because I registered my T1 wirelessly.

Other than this quirk that you have discovered, my T1 works fine with the new Sony software to transfer books and sync collections.
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
nindustrial
Enthusiast
nindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

I had this exact same experience; login errors and I couldn't register my device. I didn't try registering directly on the device over WiFi, but in retrospect, I wish I had now. I essentially created a new account using a different email address, but in the process, lost all the lrf files I had previously.

Can I 'logout' of the Sony Reader software on my Mac, login with my previous email account, and re-download the books in ePub format, and then transfer them over to my device (under a different email address?). I suspect this is going to be messy and will require some de-DRM'ing.
nindustrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nindustrial View Post
I had this exact same experience; login errors and I couldn't register my device. I didn't try registering directly on the device over WiFi, but in retrospect, I wish I had now. I essentially created a new account using a different email address, but in the process, lost all the lrf files I had previously.

Can I 'logout' of the Sony Reader software on my Mac, login with my previous email account, and re-download the books in ePub format, and then transfer them over to my device (under a different email address?). I suspect this is going to be messy and will require some de-DRM'ing.
I'm not sure what happens if you try to use multiple accounts on the same computer. It might be easier to install ADE on another computer in your house if you've got one. Use that to log into your old Sony account and then download your old books as EPUB's. They wouldn't be accessible on your ereader with your new account though unless you de-DRM them.