Notices

Old 05-25-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
merdax
merdax began at the beginning.

Device: irex
connection unsucessful

hi my friends
i'm not perfect in english,so foregive me pleas
when i try to connect my iliad to my computer for sharing internet via ethernet cable,it looks like every thing is ok but in iliad i can see that it writes behind the connection name this: unsuccessful !
so how can i do every things ok that iliad accepts the connection?
when i ping that ip that i gave to iliad,it successfuly says this:

what should i do?
i'm so complicated with this!
pleas help me at this one
merdax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
merdax

anybody has'nt any way for me?
Advert
Old 05-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
it seems the iliad forum is a bit deserted today... i'm sure someone will be able to help you, just give it a bit more time. sorry i can't help you, i don't even have an iliad. good luck.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
it seems the iliad forum is a bit deserted today... i'm sure someone will be able to help you, just give it a bit more time. sorry i can't help you, i don't even have an iliad. good luck.
Yes, the whole forums have really slowed down since Friday. Probably due to the long Memorial Day holiday weekend here in the US.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
ah, is that what's going on.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
akiburis
Connoisseur
akiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505, iLiad Book Edition
I'm a very new iLiad user, so I surely don't know all the answers. However, I have connected mine successfully to the Internet (the iDS) through an ethernet cable connected to the router, not to a computer; I think this is what one is meant to do to make a wired connection. One may also connect the iLiad to a computer (via USB) to transfer files from the computer, but I don't know whether it's possible to share an Internet connection by connecting the iLiad to the computer.
akiburis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
There have been a few threads about this, but I don't remember the details. There was this one on the irex forum. Try searching there and here for threads about "router" or perhaps "internet sharing".
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, the whole forums have really slowed down since Friday. Probably due to the long Memorial Day holiday weekend here in the US.

BOb

It is also the spring Bank holiday weekend in the UK.

It has been quiet.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
sharpshin
sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad V2
@ merdax:

The ping results validate your Iliad is connected ok, but there is no Irex supplied software that does anything but connect to their IDs server for software updates. To make any other use of the internet you have to install one or more of the applications that others have provided. See the the Iliad Software Releases forum for more details. Make sure you browse through the Sticky posts that provide a lot of good info.
sharpshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:46 AM   #10
merdax

@ sharpshin
thanx,but is there any other software that can be installed on my iliad's not updated version?
Old 05-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #11
rincewind
Connoisseur
rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iLiad
When the iLiad says "unsuccessful" it's because it tries to connect to an SMB file share (the one you configured in the settings for computer synchronization). You must either setup linux and samba as mentioned in the iRex forums or install the Companion Software (or set up a matching file share yourself) on Windows. If you have done so, check (and double check!) the parameters you put into the configuration.

And yes, I know it is very annoying that it seems to be a network error when it really is a "connection refused" or "authentication failure" or any other error. It buggers me when people stupid down their error messages because it is too difficult for people to understand. "It's not working" is a very bad start in a troubleshooting process.

/R
rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I agree with rincewind. The error messages when trying to sync with a computer are very confusing. If you just want to test that your iLiad can connect to the network/internet, then make sure you're connecting to "iDS" and not "computer" from the screen that pops up right after you hold the connect button.

There is a whole big list of potential problems when trying to connect to a computer, and they all show up as "unsuccessful" on the iLiad. It's really difficult to figure out exactly what the failure is.

Also, if you're running an ethernet cable from your iLiad to your PC in order to get internet access, you need to make sure that "internet sharing" is enabled on the PC (I think it's turned off by default?).
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #13
merdax

my adsl modem is USB!
so,can i connect the modem to my iliad and set the ip ?
will iliad work to connect directly to the internet?