Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Takeshi_12
Takeshi_12 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is ebook-convert thread safe?

Hi,

I'm doing quite a lot of ebook conversion on my quad core computer. I saw that one ebook-convert thread only takes one core. Is it possible to launch ebook-convert again while another ebook-convert thread is still running?

Regards
Takeshi_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
no ebook-convert is not thread safe. It is however, process-safe. You can have multiple ebook-convet processes running, in fact that's what the calibre GUI does.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
no ebook-convert is not thread safe. It is however, process-safe. You can have multiple ebook-convet processes running, in fact that's what the calibre GUI does.
I noticed the efficiency of this setup.

I converted my entire library (about 1200 books) from ePub to Mobi for what ended up being a useless reason. I selected all of the books and clicked convert. It seemed to be running 3 or 4 book conversions at a time. On my dual core Windows XP laptop I was converting around 150 books an hour.

Very nicely done.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Takeshi_12
Takeshi_12 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

thanks for clarifying this. Doing my homework I now understand the difference between thread safe and process safe.

So I can run multiple ebook-converter processes at the same time without problems.

Regards
Takeshi_12 is offline   Reply With Quote