Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
AC Adaptor: Will a USB to AC (like an old iPod charger) suffice?

As per title really. Let's say I could get the official AC adaptor for less than half its exorbitant retail price - is it worth it now?

Any alternatives? I don't want to get caught short travelling!

P.S. I want to be able to read while it's plugged in if possible.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I use a different charger than the official one. There's a thread on this (which chargers work and which don't) somewhere - so in a way, it's hit-or-miss which ones will work for you.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nothing that works with an Apple device will work with a Sony to charge it.

You can use a Blackberry charger as that does work and with a Blackberry charger, you can read while charging.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
I have an older USB wall charger, "GRIFFIN" brand, which does not work with my Sonys. It cost an arm and a leg, but that was some years ago. I have a newer one that came with my Motorola phone, and another newer one that came with my Nook, and both of these work just fine with the Sonys.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:37 AM   #5
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Plenty of them available from Amazon starting at £2.95.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ny+prs+charger

I bought the Navitech one to use with my 650 and it works perfectly, and yes you can read whilst charging.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 03:09 AM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I think it's only when charging from PC that you can't use it ["as a reader" I think they rather quaintly state in the destruction leaflet...]
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:02 AM   #7
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I can only confirm that it can be a hit and miss with USB/AC adapters. I have three that I use regularly. Out of those 2 will and 1 won't work with my 350.
I also have a phone charger (Samsung) that works fine.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #8
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I have a USB to AC adapter that came with my HTC phone and I use it with my Reader (and phone) with great success. I can read while it's charging.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #9
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I think it's only when charging from PC that you can't use it ["as a reader" I think they rather quaintly state in the destruction leaflet...]
I often read my 950 in bed, while it is plugged in to the wall adapter for charging. It's only when plugged via USB that it won't let you read, and that is because it goes into "USB storage mode", in other words, it starts acting like a regular USB drive.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
I have a charger for my sony minidisc-recorder, which does NOT work (why, I don't understand), but it works just ok with the charger of my nokia phone. hit and miss...
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
I think I've found a charger that does work: my girlfriend recently acquired an Asus tablet, and it seems to work with the adaptor for that. I'm a little concerned though, after reading some stuff on a Sony Reader forum, that I risk damaging my reader if the charge that is sent through is too high (?).

Many thanks for your replies.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
If it is a USB charger then it cannot be too high... USB = USB = 5V... As has been said in a load of threads across the forum, USB gives 5V which is the standard... the current should be 500mA minimum but it doesn't matter if it offers more, just means modern gear charges faster, older gear takes what it needs and ignores the rest... Some chargers don't supply the right data connections which is why they don't work but they won't damage anything, just don't work...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #13
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
After taking my PRS650 to a local electronics store I found the standard USB ones that work with Ipod don't work but the mobile phone ones with a micro USB plug on them do work. They even allow you to read while charging like my old USB charger did with my PRS 505.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I have used a Nook and a Belkin AC - USB converter to succusfully charge my 600 and 650.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #15
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
In the last few years there has been an effort to standardize micro-usb chargers.

The spec is actually extremely simple; the charging device puts out the standard 5 volts specified by the USB spec, and since charging devices don't need to transfer data, the two data pins on the USB connector are just shorted together (which signals to the device that it is connected to a charger)

Most cell phones, and most other newer USB devices (including the newer Sony PRS-x50 readers) are compatible with micro-usb chargers that comply with these specs. Most of the chargers that don't work with the Sony are designed to work with some earlier Apple devices (which, as was typical for Apple products, weren't standard with anything).

Technically, to be fully compliant, one of these standard micro-usb chargers should also be able to put out 2 Amps, but many of the chargers supplied with cell phones have lower limits, so this should be verified.

Most of the newer USB chargers that I have seen will supply at least 500ma. and this should be fine with the Sony.

If you don't have a cell phone or other device that uses one of these chargers that comply with the new spec, as has already been mentioned, there are several inexpensive chargers available on Amazon for only about 3 dollars that are guaranteed to work with the Sony readers.

These cheapo Amazon after-market chargers are not the official Sony product, but I have ordered several for the family members who have Sony readers in our household, and all worked perfectly.

I doubt that Sony actually manufactures their charger anyway. (I suspect that Sony just buys them from some source in China and then marks them up about 1000%)

Last edited by delphin; 08-02-2011 at 03:49 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote