Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-22-2022, 11:16 PM   #1
Mcewena
Mcewena began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Dead touchscreen

Hi, my 8th gen kindle’s screen just went dead. The power button will still work so I can do a forced reset and it will still wake up when the cover is opened but as every other function is via touch screen I’m sort of SOL. I even upgraded the firmware via usb connection and that took but it made no difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Mcewena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 04:00 AM   #2
eddie.t.h
Groupie
eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Too Much Kindle :-)
If you mean the Kindle Touch 8gen, it has infrared touch. Check if any dirt has got around the screen frame, wash the recess with an ear swab soaked in isopropyl alcohol to be sure.
eddie.t.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2022, 10:36 AM   #3
Mcewena

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie.t.h View Post
If you mean the Kindle Touch 8gen, it has infrared touch. Check if any dirt has got around the screen frame, wash the recess with an ear swab soaked in isopropyl alcohol to be sure.
Good thought but no dice. If it were dirt I’d have thought I’d see dead spots on the screen but it’s dead-dead mid read.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:48 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The entire touch screen fails with bezel dirt on any IR touch I've seen. It's beams X and Y, so a small blocked area prevents any additional screen touch because there is usually no multitouch.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 10:51 AM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I agree that it is probably dirt. I have not had the problem on a kindle, but it was a chronic problem with my Nooks.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2022, 11:15 AM   #6
Mcewena

I’ll try with something a little stronger.
Old 12-23-2022, 02:08 PM   #7
eddie.t.h
Groupie
eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Do not clean the screen, only the inner side of the frame around it.
Old 12-24-2022, 02:24 PM   #8
Mcewena

Fingernail under the bezel doesn’t show much dirt but tried alcohol and then automotive brake cleaner (in for a penny…) and still no dice.
Old 12-25-2022, 05:52 AM   #9
eddie.t.h
Groupie

Well.. It looks like you have a not-so-practical paperweight
Old 12-25-2022, 05:48 PM   #10
Mcewena

I’ll add it it to the pile of dead kindles.
Old 12-28-2022, 02:21 PM   #11
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcewena View Post
I’ll add it it to the pile of dead kindles.
Wow...sorry that you seem to have so many problems with your Kindles!! I have working Kindles going all the way back to a Kindle Keyboard. Not all of them have the best batteries anymore, but they still turn on and I can use them to read on.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 03:23 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest you forget Kindles and go Kobo.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote