Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
basilmir
basilmir began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Kindle DX questions!

Hello,

Can anyone that actually has a Kindle DX answear a couple of questions?

1. In the PDF functionality... can you highlight text as you would in acrobat. Select the text, right click and select highlight or comment, and save?

I am interested if i can highlight something would i be able to SAVE in native PDF format as in acrobat.

2. How are the firmware revisions? Do they come often, have they improved and actually fixed bugs?

3. What do you think is good and bad with the Kindle DX?
basilmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
1. No.
2. None so far for me.
3. Good: size, weight, shape.
Bad: size, weight, shape.
Good and bad are subjective and depend on your expectations.
Order one. If you don't like it send it back.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
PDF opinions have varied widely in users - largely depending on what texts(and how they were created/formatted) they want to view, what they want to do with the texts, and what their expectations were.
The bottom line is - you have to try it for yourself. Amazon gives you a 30-day window to return it for a full refund - you just get nailed for the return postage.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
PDF

I am a Law student and I took all my books I purchased and scanned them into PDF's in order to read my class material while traveling (I work full time also) I just got a Kindle DX and i must say that it renders the PDF the best of any device i have seen so far - yes it does not have the TOC and other features but i would rather have the PDF open and be readable then worry about toc's. Some of my PDF's are over 200 megs plus. On scaned PDf's the only advice I can give is scan in black and white - greyscale or color detracts from the readability and sometimes prevents the DX and for that matter any reader from opening it
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
basilmir
basilmir began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I'm not from the US. So returning it is out of the question. What is have now is a PRS-505, and i wish they had one twice as big.

That's borderline pdf support. If you can't comment and bookmark pages... what is the use of "native" pdf support?

I think the iRex DR1000S is looking better each day... Seems they are going to add some kind of borderline pdf support just like the DX, with them i can actually HOPE for some improvement.

I have a feeling Amazon is going the Apple 'lockdown the device' way, I hate that.
basilmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Another fairly big issue, the built in dictionary does not work in PDF's. Another complaint I see repeatedly is the lack of zoom. If the original PDF has a reasonably large font size for the page, then it's no problem. But if the original print is small, such as in some magazines, then it can be too tiny to read. A workaround is to turn the Kindle sideways which does provide one level of zoom, but I find this workaround clumsy.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote