Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2008, 07:16 AM   #1
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Unhappy Now I have done it :(

yesterday I dropped my reader from the first floor of my house. After the scare, I dared to go down and check on my beloved 505...
The view was horrible- the casing was nicked in a few places and the silver plastic cap -including the power switch- was broken and gone, but -wonder o wonder, it was still showing my book and the display was whole!
Now I have the problem that I need a wire to switch the reader on and of and I wondered whether it would be possible to map the power switch (it sends the reader only into stand by, doesn't it?) to another button?
Anybody an idea whether such a thing is possible?

Thanks,
kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Dare one ask how you managed to drop it from the first floor? It's pretty impressive that the screen "survived" a drop like that!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

I actually live on the third floor. I usually walk upstairs, since I am to lazy (or not lazy enough?) to use the lift and doing so I read.
Each floors front side is open to the front and ends in a balustrade. It was raining yesterday and the concrete was slick so I slipped and crashed against the balustrade. That was how my reader learned to fly...
Old 07-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaas View Post
I actually live on the third floor. I usually walk upstairs, since I am to lazy (or not lazy enough?) to use the lift and doing so I read.
Each floors front side is open to the front and ends in a balustrade. It was raining yesterday and the concrete was slick so I slipped and crashed against the balustrade. That was how my reader learned to fly...
huh... apparently, sometimes it is *better* for your health (and the health of your reader...) to take the lift, instead of the stairs.

glad to hear your reader survived ! that is pretty amazing news. be careful on those stairs. we wouldn't want *you* to learn to fly next time...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
You could use the universal flasher and edit the appropriate .xml file to standby on holding the enter key down, the way people use the hack to power the unit off completely. i actually need to run but you can probably figure it out by browsing the universal flasher 2.0 thread and the hacking the 505.1.1.00.18040 thread under PRS-505 Developers' Corner, or get someone in those threads or here to telll you exactly which file and what to change. You will need to have updated your PRS-505 to the new firmware.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2008, 08:14 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For the benefit of our American friends, by the way, we're talking here about a fall from what you call the second floor. It really is impressive that it survived!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #7
kaas
Muncher of ebooks

well, that is what the cover is there for, isn't it
I couldn't believe it myself and thought that my reader is a goner for sure. Especially since it did NOT fall on soft ground, but on concrete!

cheers,
the lucky kaas
Old 07-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
macphersondh
Enthusiast
macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
I am so paranoid about dropping mine that I always use a wrist strap just in case! May not look uber cool - but it gives me peace of mind!

David
macphersondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For the benefit of our American friends, by the way, we're talking here about a fall from what you call the second floor. It really is impressive that it survived!
Weirdly, I knew what he meant, even though I'm American. Most apartment buildings where I live have a ground floor unit and then the first floor is one flight of stairs up.

I dropped mine from a height of only about 4 feet but it landed right on the top edge, popped the top piece, including the power button and the little piece of plastic that sits over the LED, right off. Luckily, all the pieces were intact and I cobbled the thing back together, though with one mystery piece of plastic leftover. I've been using it for 9 months since that happened with no ill effects.
If you try to remap the enter button as a power button, keep us posted, I'd like to know if it works. I don't trust myself not to drop mine again.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:11 AM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm personally pleasantly surprised with the resilience of the Sony. A couple weeks ago, mine flew out of my purse while I was getting out of a taxi. Landed pretty hard on the pavement a few feet away. I was afraid to turn it on and see what the screen looked like. No problems with the screen, although the bottom of the device where the usb port, headphone jack, and volume button had bent outward. Was able to get this back into shape and it's been working perfectly.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:23 AM   #11
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
Well, I think you have the new record. Lucky you.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@ Harry T: Thanks for the translation, so is the third floor the fourth floor, for us Americans?

Quote:
... I slipped and crashed against the balustrade. That was how my reader learned to fly...
I was being very sympathetic until I read you last sentence, then I couldn't stop laughing.

I recently dropped my reader next to a sprinkler head. I was running past my sprinklers to get through my front door and had my reader tucked under my shirt so it wouldn't get wet, when I turned the corner I slipped enough to lose my balance and my grip of the reader. It bounced off the concrete and landed next to the sprinkler.
The result was a broken power button and soaked reader that wouldn't turn on.

I had to blow dry it for 15 min and fiddle with the power button before I could get it to work.

A very miserable ordeal, but I'll have to say dropping your reader from the 2nd story is much more impressive. I'm surprised it survived the fall.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #13
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
...Now I have the problem that I need a wire to switch the reader on and of and I wondered whether it would be possible to map the power switch (it sends the reader only into stand by, doesn't it?) to another button?
Anybody an idea whether such a thing is possible?

Thanks,
kaas
This thread may be of some help in repair if you can get the replacement parts. (I'd look for a reader with a broken screen on eBay.):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21475

Regards,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote