Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Kindle and library support

Hello everyone. My wife and I both have K3s and we love them. My mother just got a B&N Nook yesterday. Her Nook has ePub library support and the Kindle does not. Is there a way as a community that we can let them know at Amazon that we want this feature added to the Kindle? I would love to be able to check out library books.
s1mp13m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
kindle-feedback@amazon.com

However there are approximately 3 to 10 threads a day about this issue on the Amazon Kindle Forum, plenty more here and I'm pretty sure Amazon well knows the ePub/azw debate backwards and forwards. Jeff Bezos even gave an interview a couple of weeks ago where he talked about why Amazon is holding firm with their proprietary format. I found his tech explanations a little shaky but I did get the clear impression that Amazon really doesn't want to change their focus right now.

By all means send off an email to let Amazon know your opinion - no harm in that. From what I can tell, as of right now Amazon seems to be holding their major market share of eBooks just fine without ePub support. Until that changes I personally don't see them budging on this - it's probably a better business decision for Amazon to not give the #1 digital reading device the ability to buy all their books from places other than Amazon.com
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The only way to get library support is to buy a different reader. Amazon isn't planning in the known future to change to add in ADE/ePub. So if library eBooks are important enough to you, you'll just have to get another reader. The increase in the use of library eBooks and the lack of support in the Kindle line is not going to be good for Amazon in the long run (IMHO).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Also try contacting OVerdrive and letting them know that you would like them to provide books using Mobi. Overdrive has some Mobi books and made a decision to stop supporting that format.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No it is not. If you are willing to strip DRM you can download library books to a Kindle.

Lets try and skip the moral, legal, ethical debate for once. There are about 9,000 other threads were a person can go and find out that this is a dodgy area and there are different interpritations and no one really knows if it is legal in the US until the Supreme Court says what is legal.
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can strip DRM it's true, but if being able to read library books is high on your priority list, it makes a lot more sense to buy a reader which can read them directly, rather than faffing around with DRM.

Excellent though the Kindle is (and I do think that it is an extremely good reader), this is not where its strengths lie.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
If Amazon started allowing Adobe DRM ePubs then they would lose out on a lot of sales through their Kindle store. Amazon makes little to no money on Kindle devices but all of their margin is selling Kindle books.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I did not even think of it that way, DUH on my part. You are right, they are not going to give up there format and open up another way for others to get books for there device. No library books are not that big of deal to me, it is just icing on the cake so to speak. It would be nice to be able to do that, but not necessary. I love my Kindle. They have screensaver and font hacks for the Kindle, so why not a book format hack? LOL
s1mp13m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
If Amazon started allowing Adobe DRM ePubs then they would lose out on a lot of sales through their Kindle store. Amazon makes little to no money on Kindle devices but all of their margin is selling Kindle books.
If BN, Kobo, and Sony started selling Mobi books this wouldn't be a problem. If Overdrive continued using Mobi, something they used to do, this wouldn't be a problem.

Sony is the only one of the well known EReaders that predates the Kindle that did not use Mobi. BN and Kobo came into the market and chose EPub instead of Mobi. Sony, BN, and Kobo all have a DRM on their EPub formated books. BN books cannot be read on a Sony or Kobo without stripping them.

I am sorry but it is not Amazon's fault that the later entries into the field choose a different format. It is not Amazon's fault that Overdrive decided to drop Mobi.

If we are going to complain about formatting issues then people should be compalining about the EPub only stores not selling Mobi as well as Amazon not selling EPub.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n View Post
I did not even think of it that way, DUH on my part. You are right, they are not going to give up there format and open up another way for others to get books for there device. No library books are not that big of deal to me, it is just icing on the cake so to speak. It would be nice to be able to do that, but not necessary. I love my Kindle. They have screensaver and font hacks for the Kindle, so why not a book format hack? LOL

Google the phrase "Apprentice Alf Blog" and you will find the information on how to get Library Overdrive books onto your Kindle.

Read any of the numerous threads here on how to remove DRM to get the various legal and ethical opinions of those actions.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I believe those only work for Mac users. At least when I read them I couldn't find info for PC's
Old 01-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
abookreader
Wizard

Go look again. Alf has apparently rearranged his blog a bit to try and clear up some of the Mac/PC confusion and he's also trying to add better instructions.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Awesome. I checked last week and was very, very confused
Old 01-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
abookreader
Wizard

Then you are probably a really good test case to see how easy it is to follow his new instructions.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #15
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
thanks for that abookreader, I get confuse too looking at Apprentice Alf blog.
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote