Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Ok..I pulled the trigger.

So, you guys win this round.

I pulled the trigger tonight on a K2 from Amazon.

K2 + Cover + 1 Day Ship = same price I paid for my PRS-700.

I just couldn't deal with Amazon's stranglehold anymore I want my TOR books.

PS: I still love my 505 and 700
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now - does anyone know how to preorder content so I can download it on WN as soon as I pull it out of the box?
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Go to Amazon.. look to the left and see the shop all departments column.
Click on kindle.
click on kindle 6 inch device.
It will take you to this screen

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons...pf_rd_i=507846

Then click on Kindle books.
Shop.
Use the search filed to type in author or book.
Find book you want. (There's lotsa free ones try one of those first)
click on it.. (This doesnt buy it yet.)
click buy now with one click.
The site automatically charges the credit card you used to buy your Kindle and sends the book to your kindle in 60 seconds (or your Iphone if you have the kindle app...

Say, "Thats the coolest thing i've ever seen!"

Piece of cake!

Oh. In the Kindle store page (see link above) you can click on "Manage your Kindle" And change the credit card you want to use for the one click buying if you want, or change the name of yer Kindle to Ogilthorpe if you wanna or set your kindles email address etc.

Last edited by Roy White; 07-19-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
Acextreme
Enthusiast
Acextreme began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
So, you guys win this round.

I pulled the trigger tonight on a K2 from Amazon.

K2 + Cover + 1 Day Ship = same price I paid for my PRS-700.

I just couldn't deal with Amazon's stranglehold anymore I want my TOR books.

PS: I still love my 505 and 700
Hmmm, I hope your cover isn't the Amazon's official Kindle2 cover; just a word of caution, I heard it caused plenty of problems. When I bought my DX, I didn't bother with their covers because upon learning that the cover utilizes two metallic hooks to attach itself into the sides of the Kindle just didn't give me a sense of security for a couple of reasons. Firstly, having only 2 contact points seems to be pushing the limits of the pressure on the device's plastic encasement and that proves to be fatal as experienced by quite a number of users; see the $5m class suit against amazon. Secondly, if you were to drop it, the edges aren't adequately protected and many a times, such drops always hits the edges...I would have suggested a Noreve though...
Acextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
drzeller
drzeller has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PC, Windows Mobile Phones
We have the Amazon cover on two K2's and did on a DX before it was returned. We've had no problems with the covers, and wouldn't want a cover with elastic or velcro to hold the kindle, personally. Just don't tear the Kindle away from the back of the cover and I think you'll do fine.

D.
drzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acextreme View Post
Hmmm, I hope your cover isn't the Amazon's official Kindle2 cover; just a word of caution, I heard it caused plenty of problems. When I bought my DX, I didn't bother with their covers because upon learning that the cover utilizes two metallic hooks to attach itself into the sides of the Kindle just didn't give me a sense of security for a couple of reasons. Firstly, having only 2 contact points seems to be pushing the limits of the pressure on the device's plastic encasement and that proves to be fatal as experienced by quite a number of users; see the $5m class suit against amazon. Secondly, if you were to drop it, the edges aren't adequately protected and many a times, such drops always hits the edges...I would have suggested a Noreve though...
funny enough none of those complaints ever surfaced here. only the link to the lawsuit.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
jaxx6166
Wizard

The two metal hooks - do they attach to the top and bottom of the K2?

If so, it seems to be the same attachment style used on all of my Sonys. Only they use plastic. I've yet to have a problem with any of them either. I did buy the Amazon cover...I was thinking about spending the cash on the Oberron. But, until my Sony has one, I won't get one for the Kindle. You can't play favorites with your kids. lol.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
The metal hook is one the side. I have the mEdge Go cover, and it works great. I haven't had any problems and I wouldn't want to go back to a velcro/elastic system again. I think the attachment system is pretty great.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Say, "Thats the coolest thing i've ever seen!"
lol! Well that's pretty much what I said when I did it. The previous time I said that was when I first used an ipod touch. The coolest thing I had ever seen!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
jaxx6166
Wizard

So now - this begs the question:

Will the titles be preinstalled or will they download right after I first connect to WN>?

I see a listing for my Kindle, but there is no PID registered. I thought that since this uses a form of MOBI drm that it needed a PID registered
Old 07-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Books purchased ahead of time don't come pre-installed. You still need to download.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
jaxx6166
Wizard

That's what I figured. Perhaps it was wishful thinking

Are there excerpts pre-installed like on the Sonies?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

Yea, but they queue up to d/l and as soon as you turn that sucker on they will be pulled to the device withing a minute or so.

It's sweet!!!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

The only items that will be on the K2 that you did not order, will be your Welcome letter and the User Guide. You get to choose your content. So shop for books and samples while you're waiting and as soon as you connect to Whispernet, they'll start downloading.

You may want to browse through the User Guide to get more familiar with the K2's features.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
jaxx6166
Wizard

Well..it arrived..

On first impression, the packaging was cute. I liked the pull tab "Once upon a time.." It gave the packaging a special feel to it. While the Sony readers felt like you were getting an expensive gadget, the Kindle had a completely different feel to it. Almost as if Amazon wasn't afraid to take itself too seriously. It was a bit more - playful.

I'll give the + to Amazon.

On the hardware side, I had trouble getting a decent grip on the K2 sans cover. The plastic was shiny and felt a little slippery. At first I thought the screen was tiny, because of the extra white space and keyboard around it. But, after comparing it to my Sonies, the screens are exactly the same. =)

The firmware - I'm not sure about. Does the Kindle have the same Epson controller that the PRS-700 uses? It seems slower, almost on the same pace as my 505. It's charging now, so I will investigate further later