Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
ckole
Enthusiast
ckole began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
News source downloads always slow

I have good Internet connections and many of the new sources I attempt to download are always extremely slow. Any ideas on why this is the case. Examples are USA Today, CNN, Chicago Tribune, etc. I am talking taking like 30 minutes.

Thanks,
Chris
ckole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
highwaykind
Connoisseur
highwaykind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Same here - news downloads are very slow.
I have a DSL connection - the time it takes to download 1 newsfeed is the same amount as it takes to download a 500MB file. I doubt the newsfiles are that big? (6 newsfeeds takes 6 times that..)

It's still a lot better than paying for the Kindle to download it, so I'm not complaining too loudly, but it would be nice if this could be fixed.
highwaykind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It would be good if somebody coud provide a complete list of these slow recipes. Because not all recipes take a lot of time to be downloaded.

If you want this fixed create an issue in calibre bug tracker, specify all the news feeds that are working slow for you and only than can we see what can be done if anything.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:33 AM   #4
highwaykind
Connoisseur

For me I think every recipe seems to take a lot longer to download than it would when I downloaded the RSS feed with for example Thunderbird.

LA Times took 10 minutes yesterday.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre doesn't download content from RSS feeds, it goes to the website and downloads full articles with pictures from there. So it will be slower than an RSS reader.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 04:23 AM   #6
highwaykind
Connoisseur

I'm just watching the Calibre Video and like Kovid said, the standard time for news downloads is 5 - 10 minutes. So, in my case, things are not slow Thanks!
Old 01-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I really love calibre; but news download is really slow when compare with Mobipocket reader on my desktop; with same source of feed and full content fetch.

Just wish to know the reason, eg BBC very fast fetch by mobireader; but take ages by Calibre.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
In the latest version of Calibre there are two recipes for BBC. One is the original "The BBC" and new "BBC News(fast)". The second one downloads everything in less than 5 minutes but without any pictures. Give it a try.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote