Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
gfmucci
gfmucci began at the beginning.

Device: dx
"Text to Voice" Feature: How useful is it for you?

How well does the "text to voice" feature work on the K2 or DX? How useful is it for you? I realize it is currently experimental.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
Some folks don't like the robot voice, but I hardly notice it and have gotten used to some of the mispronunciations. I listen to my books via TTS on my daily commute--and I love it.
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I used it on my last long car trip and it was decent.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Its ok
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
Nehoc
Nehoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Sound perfect for newspapers and other "news" content. A little dry for fiction IMO.
Nehoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Doesn't do it for me. I'm a fan of audiobooks, but the robot like voice with no inflection, no feeling, doesn't cut it. I'm sure some day we'll see TTS that's much better than it currently is.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I find it quite useful in terms of continuing a reading project while eating, driving, before falling to sleep (no book light needed), sometimes running on a treadmill. It probably accounts for no more than 5% of the total reading I do but it is nice to have. To the point where I hesitate before purchasing books with TTS disabled and choose a TTS enabled book instead.

I enjoy some audiobooks as well but find I can't work them into my routine as easily as ebooks. Navigation is problematic: the chapter marks are too coarse to use (on order of an hour apart), while the #*$*ˆˆ& thumbwheel on my nano is touchy and requires too much attention to operate accurately. So instead of trying to review something I missed, and losing my place completely, I keep going, and as such it is often hard to maintain the storyline in my head. And often after listening to an audiobook, I wish I had the text to refer to. So it makes me picky about the audiobooks I choose to listen to, to the point where I waste a lot of time unsuccessfully trying to find something on Audible that I want to read, and my credits go unused.

So at least in my case, the publishers who think disabling TTS will buttress audiobook sales are completely mistaken. What I hope becomes available some day is either 1) pay an extra $1 or so for TTS capability on the ebook or 2) bundle the ebook with the audiobook. As it is I'll purchase fewer ebooks and audiobooks from these publishers.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I tried to use it once to see what it was like and I have never used it again...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
aslterp
aslterp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I too tried it once and did not like it! UNTIL I was almost done with a good book and was working out of town. Came time to drive home and I wanted to finish the book! I now use it all the time when I drive for work - and some weeks I drive 800+ miles for work!
aslterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
gfmucci
gfmucci began at the beginning.

Device: dx
On balance, it sounds like it is useful but not perfect. I've heard similar voices. I suspect the Kindle sounds like the NOAA weather radio guy... or a bored Swede.
I think I would get some good use out of it. I agree, it will be much more user friendly than Audible.

Do you know roughly what proportion of books have this feature enabled?
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I love it and use it often. I am not a huge music person so I like to have something to listen to on my way to the bus stop or at the gym.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 AM   #12
bzImage
Enthusiast
bzImage doesn't litterbzImage doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
It was strange at first but later you get used to the "voice", i have a 2 hours commute each way every day.. so it's like 4 hours in the car daily.. it's a sanity saver at least hear a book on this damn traffic.
bzImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:19 AM   #13
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
works great for prank phone calls
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #14
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Regarding what percentage of books have this enabled

I'm not sure about Amazon's books; I haven't tried enough of them. However every single one of the nonDRM books I've tried (manybooks.net, Baen.com, Fictionwise Multiformat) has worked just fine.

I think disabling TTS is tied up in Amazon's DRM.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #15
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
You can turn the TTS back on without breaking the DRM or Whispersync. VERY useful.
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote