Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
batgirl
Enthusiast
batgirl doesn't litterbatgirl doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook360
Talking I love my PocketBook 360! (a review)

When I finally decided to take the e-reader plunge, I came to MobileRead to do much of my research. The reviews, excitement, and help provided in the PocketBook thread led me to choose a PB360, and I couldn't be happier. I thought I'd share my experiences for those that follow.

When I started looking for an e-reader, I didn't think I'd want a 5" e-ink screen. It seemed too small. It's not. The compact size, the light weight, and the ability to hold the PB360 in one hand are all big, big plusses for me. I always carry at least one book with me, but I'm usually reading two at the same time - one fiction and one nonfiction. I had to get a bigger purse just to be sure I could carry a hardcover book with me at all times. Now my load is much lighter and I don't have to decide if I want to go with fiction or nonfiction for the day when I leave the house.

I'm always reading on the go--waiting in lines, on public transportation, etc. I read when I eat. The PB360 is perfect for this as I only need one hand to operate it. The ability to change screen orientation is awesome. I remember the first day I was eating breakfast holding the PB360 in my left hand frustrated because I was unable to reach the buttons to turn the pages. It took me a few too many seconds to realize I could flip the screen orientation. The PB360 truly works great whether you are left-or right-handed.

I haven't used FBreader. I've been stuck using ADE because I borrow all my e-books from my library. As I understand it all the customization of the the reading experience can't be done in ADE. One small pet peeve. I'm rarely returned to the exact same spot I left off. Because page 156 can go on for a few pages on the reader, it always takes me to the beginning of pg 156. Not terrible. My spot is always close enough.

One big pet peeve. The PB360 will not mount on my Powerbook G4 running Tiger. (I hear there is a fix being worked out?)

Finally, before I got my PB360 I was unsure about the experience of reading off of a screen and not holding a physical book in my hands. Fact is while I'm reading I don't notice that I'm reading from an e-reader versus a physical book. As for the experience of holding a physical book in my hands I do not miss it at all and actually prefer the PB360. Right now, one of the books I'm reading is a heavy hardcover and after a month of not toting a big book around it is a PITA.

Oops, I almost forgot. I love the hardshell cover and how it locks onto the back!

I highly recommend the PB360 for anyone looking for a great little e-reader. To the people at PocketBook
batgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Thanks for nice little review!!! I put a link to it on www.PocketBookReaer.com)))
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
PocketBooks do look nice. It's cool this one rotates the pages all the way. I almost wish I had known about them before I bought a Sony! That 302 is calling me.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:09 AM   #4
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Great review! The PB360 is the perfect device when you're on the move. I keep mine in my bag ready for travelling in the car (as a passenger, not driver obviously!) for reading in cafes, on the bus/train and waiting for appointments. And I love the fact you can eat and read with ease.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:44 AM   #5
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
Great review! The PB360 is the perfect device when you're on the move. I keep mine in my bag ready for travelling in the car (as a passenger, not driver obviously!) for reading in cafes, on the bus/train and waiting for appointments. And I love the fact you can eat and read with ease.
@poshm: You have to work in advertising:

"PB 360. Eat and Read at Ease !!!"

aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 06:40 AM   #6
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
I'm so glad you like it! I'm waiting [not so] patiently for mine to arrive in a few days
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #7
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
For even easier reading, I carry a collapsible book stand. It's great when you want to read while having breakfast at your favorite cafe

This isn't the one I use but it gives you an idea of what you can find. I got mine at Michael's Arts & Craft store. I'm the envy of my friends who have to hold their readers when we get together over a meal.

Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
For even easier reading, I carry a collapsible book stand. It's great when you want to read while having breakfast at your favorite cafe

This isn't the one I use but it gives you an idea of what you can find. I got mine at Michael's Arts & Craft store. I'm the envy of my friends who have to hold their readers when we get together over a meal.

Love the idea but I'd seriously need a remote control with that - I was taught to speed read at uni and I get through pages very fast so need my thumb permanently on the page turn button.

Nothing better than eating and Reading except perhaps eating, Reading and having a bath which tops everything!
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
Quote:
Nothing better than eating and Reading except perhaps eating, Reading and having a bath which tops everything!
Totally agree...
and surely soon I'll tell you if I love pb360 too!!
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:39 AM   #10
Fia
Fia began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Love the idea but I'd seriously need a remote control with that - I was taught to speed read at uni and I get through pages very fast so need my thumb permanently on the page turn button.

I have not found any numbers on the update time when turning pages - but I guess that it's not annoyingly slow if yo, as a speed reader, like your PB360
Fia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:49 AM   #11
_paul_
_paul_ began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook301
PocketBook customers support in UK:
http://www.greenreader.co.uk/
_paul_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
Roger108
Roger108 doesn't litterRoger108 doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360
360 DOES MOUNT on a Powerbook G4 with Leopard 10.5

[QUOTE=batgirl;815105]

One big pet peeve. The PB360 will not mount on my Powerbook G4 running Tiger. (I hear there is a fix being worked out?)

Hi Batgirl,
I just upgraded from Tiger to Leopard 10.5 on my Powerbook G4 and voila, the 360 mounts.

Still, I'd rather being using Tiger on my Powerbook, so I hope PocketBook comes up with a fix. Leopard is not ideal for a Powerbook.

Last edited by Roger108; 03-23-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Roger108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:54 AM   #13
jonsbjons
Connoisseur
jonsbjons doesn't litterjonsbjons doesn't litter

Device: PBook301
Quote:
By the way. Reading in the bathroom - the peak of bliss. But if devays was also waterproof!
jonsbjons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #14
zilyal
Connoisseur
zilyal began at the beginning.

Device: PB 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsbjons View Post
By the way. Reading in the bathroom - the peak of bliss. But if devays was also waterproof!
All you need is a ziploc bag (or two) and the reader is ready for the tub...
zilyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:10 AM   #15
jonsbjons
Connoisseur
jonsbjons doesn't litterjonsbjons doesn't litter

Device: PBook301
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilyal View Post
All you need is a ziploc bag (or two) and the reader is ready for the tub...
You'll laugh - never seen on sale. Can you show a picture?
jonsbjons is offline   Reply With Quote