Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Microsoft Certifications? Worth it?

Is Microsoft still the king of IT or has Cisco taken over the top spot?

I'm looking to take several (MCSE, MCSA,MCTS) courses, and was just wondering if spending the thousand bucks is worth the piece of paper, or if there are better alternatives?

I figure there's gotta be some system administrator out here who can answer my question
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Microsoft certifications are certainly valued in the UK IT industry. I work for a large IT consultancy company, and we work on many contracts which require that all staff working on the project be suitably certified.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
The answer would depend on which IT field you plan on working.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
The answer would depend on which IT field you plan on working.
Yes, that goes without saying, of course . If you plan to become an Oracle consultant, for example, then naturally you'd want Oracle certifications, not Microsoft ones .
Old 02-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you have a field in mind or are you just trying to make yourself marketable?
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mostly marketability. I want to grab a CFCE, but my agency decided to pick the most senior guy to take that job, instead of the most qualified. So, I'm looking to get out of the city and go somewhere else.

And so I am at the point where if I take CFCE online myself and mix it with microsoft certifications or some other IT paper the chances of me getting where I want in my next gig (either civil or government) should be a lot higher.

They say now that political favors have been met, that I'm the next one in. Which doesn't really reassure me of anything as the time between is anywhere from 5 - 10 years. And I don't want to sit around this dump that long.

Last edited by jaxx6166; 02-13-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
Certs are overrated.

Seriously, here in the Midwest they want an MCSE for !#$@%&! Level 1 tech support anymore. Don't know about you but I'm not paying $1500 for a cert that'll pay me $11 an hour.

That said, CCNA and MCSE are the generic one-size-fits-all certs [EDIT: Okay, technically they're not "generic", but you know what I mean] which I see asked for most often. I might be cutting myself out of the loop but right now I'm sticking with CompTIA and if someone else wants something different they can pay for it.

Last edited by devilsadvocate; 02-13-2010 at 03:22 PM.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
Certs are overrated.

Seriously, here in the Midwest they want an MCSE for !#$@%&! Level 1 tech support anymore. Don't know about you but I'm not paying $1500 for a cert that'll pay me $11 an hour.

That said, CCNA and MCSE are the generic one-size-fits-all certs [EDIT: Okay, technically they're not "generic", but you know what I mean] which I see asked for most often. I might be cutting myself out of the loop but right now I'm sticking with CompTIA and if someone else wants something different they can pay for it.
Have to agree with ya on the craziness that is certs today. I've run across way too many so called MCSE's that were screwing things up left and right. I'm no longer in IT (thank God! disclaimer: I'm not religious), but I saw the curse of the cert too many times. You want one that really turns heads and gets respect, go for upper level Cisco. MCSE's are a dime a dozen. Get a CCIE, whichever track is your choice, and there's not so much competition at that level.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
jaxx6166
Wizard

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate all your answers. I was thinking that the Cisco cert was the way to go, that just reasserts that to me.

Just checked the Cisco Written Test Information page for the CCIE and it's all greek to me, guess I got a lot of learning to do

Unfortunately, I also saw that you can only take the test in London or Chicago. That doesn't make things too convenient for me. At all.

Bugger.

Last edited by jaxx6166; 02-13-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Wow
Old 02-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
PMP seems to be the up and coming cert these days.

Last edited by wodin; 02-13-2010 at 11:12 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:46 PM   #11
happy_terd
Banned

Get your A+.

A lot of basic IT jobs require it.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #12
jaxx6166
Wizard

Probably the wrong question to ask, but what's an A+
Old 02-13-2010, 11:57 PM   #13
happy_terd
Banned

Basic hardware / OS computer literacy test that most entry level IT jobs require that you have.

Few hundred bucks to take and never expires.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:48 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's a new one on me. Is it a purely American thing, do you know?
Old 02-14-2010, 03:21 AM   #15
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a new one on me. Is it a purely American thing, do you know?
Not to my knowledge.

CompTIA certs (of which the A+ is one) are kind of weird; you can't do anything with them alone, but you won't want to try getting by without them. My A+ is this month, Network+ is next followed by Security+ (I'll probably round it out with the Linux and Server certs they have too since they're relatively cheap and almost universally recognized). The A+ cert is 2 exams (one hardware-related and one more specialized), works out to US$336; the others are 1 exam apiece at US$239 each. Each represents 6-12 months' job experience.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote