Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
Formats at Fictionwise

Why is it that a book, e.g. Galactic Corps by Ian Douglas, is only available in mobi format at fictionwise, yet at the publisher's site, is available in Lrf, lit, mobi, adobe, and at Books on Board in Lit, adobe and mobi?

At first I thought mobi had an exclusive for a time period, but obviously that is not so. Is Fictionwise pushing mobi? Does this mean that we have to search to avoid waiting for a release of a format?
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i had a similar experience and wrote to ask why the book was not available in LIT ; the reply i got was that their distributor did not offer any other formats. i'm not sure exactly what the role of the distributor is but apparently they act as middleman between the publisher and the booksellers.

i also hope that there is not some hidden agenda to push mobipocket to the detriment of other formats...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
HarperCollins ebook store is powered by OverDrive. They do list LIT as one of the formats offered by FictionWise for their ebooks (Links -> Other HarperCollins Retailers), but Books on Board (which uses OverDrive Servers) actually has Galactic Corps in LIT.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i had a similar experience and wrote to ask why the book was not available in LIT ; the reply i got was that there distributor did not offer any other formats. i'm not sure exactly what the role of the distributor is but apparently they act as middleman between the publisher and the booksellers.
Correct. Publishers generally do not sell direct to consumers. They aren't really set up to do so. They sell to wholesalers (distributors) who in turn sell to retailers. Really big retailers, like Amazon or perhaps Barnes and Noble or CostCo may deal directly with publishers, but most retailers get stock from someone like Ingram or Baker and Taylor. (In the US, at least. Things will differ elsewhere.)

The question here is who Fictionwise's distributor is, and why they can't get the other formats.

Quote:
i also hope that there is not some hidden agenda to push mobipocket to the detriment of other formats...
Since Fictionwise now owns eReader and therefore the PML format it uses, I doubt that.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #5
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Fictionwise does have a format agenda - and it's not Mobi. They have a very clear agenda of pushing eReader, which as Dennis said they own. They not only recommend the format, but they provide an extra 5% micropay rebate that stacks with any rebate below 100% (in my experience) if you buy a secure ebook in that format.

It's the distributors.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Fictionwise does have a format agenda - and it's not Mobi. They have a very clear agenda of pushing eReader, which as Dennis said they own. They not only recommend the format, but they provide an extra 5% micropay rebate that stacks with any rebate below 100% (in my experience) if you buy a secure ebook in that format.

It's the distributors.
sorry, perhaps i was unclear : i didn't mean that Fictionwise might have this agenda (particularly given their eReader agenda, as Lemurion points out), but rather that Amazon might be putting pressure on distributors or otherwise negotiating exclusivity for Mobipocket format.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Zee, I have run into "secure mobi" at Fictionwise also. I'm confused, because they are the parent company of eBookwise, which sells EB-1150, which does not read "secure mobi."

It seems like they are trying to discourage their most loyal customers.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Zee, I have run into "secure mobi" at Fictionwise also. I'm confused, because they are the parent company of eBookwise, which sells EB-1150, which does not read "secure mobi."

Fictionwise have no control over what DRM formats their eBook suppliers are able to supply them. I'm sure they'd love to be able to supply everything in eReader format, but if the publisher doesn't wish to, there's nothing that FictionWise can do about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

No, they're offering the titles in the formats they can get. They aren't the publisher - they're the retailer. They are at the mercy of their suppliers.

Part of the problem eReader had was the the previous owners had lagged on new content acquisition, so there is a lot less available in eReader format than in Adobe PDF, Mobi, or other format. I'm sure Fictionwise is trying to address this, but first, the publisher has to agree to let them offer an eReader version, and then, someone has to create it. Amazon Kindle editions are made by a division of Amazon. Fictionwise would have to do their own conversions, and they're a much smaller outfit.
______
Dennis
Old 10-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Harry and Dennis, you guys are right. I was just voicing my frustration at not being able to buy anything I want from them anymore, with the confidence that it would work without fail on my device. Sigh.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Harry and Dennis, you guys are right. I was just voicing my frustration at not being able to buy anything I want from them anymore, with the confidence that it would work without fail on my device. Sigh.
So are the ebooks not available at the eBookwise store? Can you not just get the secure mobi, "liberate" it and convert it to IMP?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
When could you buy anything you wanted from them with confidence it would work on your device?

The first question anyone purchasing a dedicated reader needs to ask is "What content do I want to read, and is it available for my device?" It would be nice if there were a standard format everyone supported so you didn't have to ask that question, but there isn't. (ePub wants to be the standard, but won't be till everyone supports it.)

Because there isn't a standard format supported by everyone, you are likely to run into a "not available for my device" problem, no matter which device you have. If it's just now a problem for you, you've been lucky.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 10-29-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:35 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
The first question anyone purchasing a dedicated reader needs to ask is "What content do I want to read, and it it available for my device?"
I ask a slightly different question: "Is there sufficient content available for my device to make it worth my while to buy it?".

The answer, for me personally, is that I have several "lifetimes' worth" of eBooks that I'd like to read, but I still buy paper books for the things which aren't available (generally non-fiction relating to my "love" - the Latin and Greek classics).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:54 PM   #14
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I ask a slightly different question: "Is there sufficient content available for my device to make it worth my while to buy it?".

The answer, for me personally, is that I have several "lifetimes' worth" of eBooks that I'd like to read, but I still buy paper books for the things which aren't available (generally non-fiction relating to my "love" - the Latin and Greek classics).
That's largely my case as well. I have more ebooks in various formats (about 3,500) that I want to read than I have time for, and those are all from public domain and other freely distributable sources.

I'm perfectly happy to buy paper volumes. For me, eBooks are an additional format, not a replacement for paper.

For folks whose interest is current commercial titles, the equation changes.
______
Dennis
Old 10-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
For folks whose interest is current commercial titles, the equation changes.
______
Dennis
Indeed. I really want the new Jonathan Kellerman mystery, for instance, which Fictionwise carries only in Mobi form, and the publisher sells in Mobi and secure Adobe. I've never figured out the mobidedrm (in spite of suggestions from many kind people here) so simply can't get it. I'm hoping that, since previous releases from this author are in Lit, that this eventually will be too, although I don't want to have to wait for the paperback release.

Does anybody know if more formats tend to be added to FW titles as they age, or is what you see, what you get?

Last edited by RWJ; 10-29-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Open bracket.
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote