Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-25-2023, 12:58 PM   #1
lizzielou
Connoisseur
lizzielou began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, 300, 350 & 650
Calibre portable error - failed to add any books

I am running Calibre portable 2.64. I have several different ones - books to read, books read etc. I have just encountered an error in one of them when trying to add a book. This is the error

calibre, version 2.64.0
ERROR: Cannot add books: Failed to add any books, click "Show details" for more information.

Failed to start worker process
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\pool.py", line 197, in start_worker
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\pool.py", line 185, in create_worker
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\pool.py", line 71, in start_worker
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 162, in start_pipe_worker
File "subprocess.py", line 710, in __init__
File "subprocess.py", line 958, in _execute_child
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

At present there are 489 books in this library and at first I thought that maybe i had pinged the limit, however, my other libraries have more than that. I am not sure how to fix this. I can create another Calibre but I don't know how to copy the library over in the portable version.

Is anyone able to help? (apart from asking me to upgrade!)
lizzielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 10:25 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
that indicates a corrupted install. re-install or better update.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2023, 11:10 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you decide NOT to upgrade, here is the link to your version --> https://download.calibre-ebook.com/2.64.0/
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 04:47 AM   #4
lizzielou
Connoisseur
lizzielou began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, 300, 350 & 650
Thank you both for your help. I had tried to reinstall install but I think my hdd is corrupt. I was unable to delete or overwrite the Calibre folder. Even altering the permissions I still got errors saying I couldn't access the folder. Today I am biting the bullet and reformatting my hdd.
lizzielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 05:21 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzielou View Post
Thank you both for your help. I had tried to reinstall install but I think my hdd is corrupt. I was unable to delete or overwrite the Calibre folder. Even altering the permissions I still got errors saying I couldn't access the folder. Today I am biting the bullet and reformatting my hdd.
I would not reformat. I would buy a replacement and try to recover anything not backed up.

If the drive is corrupt, that could mean it's on the way out or it's had it. Do you really want to risk using it and losing even more data?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2023, 10:15 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would not reformat. I would buy a replacement and try to recover anything not backed up.

If the drive is corrupt, that could mean it's on the way out or it's had it. Do you really want to risk using it and losing even more data?
100% agree. Your way loses everything up front, with no recovery of files.
And what if it was a drive going south? or something else?
Get knowledgeable help (not just 'a person who knows computers' ) for a second opinion FIRST, (I suspect this is age relate as you are running 2.46 a about decade old. Your whole rig is getting iffy )

I don't know what drive prices are in the UK, but US$50 gets you (local,store. no searching for a deal) 1T internal . US$75 gets 4T (More storage than my work entire data center back in the 80's )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote