Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-16-2023, 11:11 AM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Show icon and notes buttons in the tag browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I am considering adding icons to the tag browser item lines indicating whether that item has notes or links.
Like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	205236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard03.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	205237  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 12:45 PM   #2
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
Oh, that a good addition. Thanks.

But, I'm not convinced about putting the icons to the right of the numbers.
A "right of number/left of number/right of name/left of name" comparison would be nice.
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2023, 01:17 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by un_pogaz View Post
But, I'm not convinced about putting the icons to the right of the numbers.
A "right of number/left of number/right of name/left of name" comparison would be nice.
There lies madness. Going down that path you would need to somehow specify the position for each possible component on the line: text, count, average rating icon, link icon, and note icon. Not somewhere I want to go.
Old 12-16-2023, 02:16 PM   #4
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Oula, I don't want go that far. I suspected it out.
Just create 4 examples images, so that we can see and discuss them to choose a final static configuration and push them to the final code.

Personally, I'd much rather see the icons "right to the name" like others 'icon indicator'. But to see.

Last edited by un_pogaz; 12-16-2023 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:36 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oula, I don't want go that far. I suspected it out.
Just create 4 examples images, so that we can see and discuss them to choose a final static configuration and push them to the final code.

Personally, I'd much rather see the icons "right to the name" like others 'icon indicator'. But to see.
Is this what you mean by your "much rather"?

Views:	140
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	205252

There are some issues. Putting the icons to the left of the text is significantly harder than putting them to the right, and to me it would be wrong to put them there. The count field is variable width so some 'normal' width is required to make the icons line up. In the above example that 'normal' is 3 digits. More than that and the icons won't line up for that line. If the count is single digits then space is wasted. If the icons are to the right of the count then the variable width doesn't matter, which is why I put them there to begin with.
Advert
Old 12-16-2023, 09:16 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Might be better to just overlay them on the category icon. Easier implementation, will probably look less disruptive as well and no alignment issues. And I would want it to default to not shown.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 11:41 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Might be better to just overlay them on the category icon. Easier implementation, will probably look less disruptive as well and no alignment issues.
Do you mean a composed 3-wide icon? I will look at that. It will make that icon quite wide, very empty if an item has no links or notes, and must work with the ratings shading.
Quote:
And I would want it to default to not shown.
I set it to default "True" for discoverability. If it is False then people won't know it is there. If someone doesn't like it then they have an incentive to find the control checkboxes in preferences.

Nothing shows (no empty space) if a category has no notes or links, so space isn't wasted for people who don't use notes/links.
Old 12-17-2023, 12:11 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No I meant more like a dot/mark in the corner of the icon. Left corner for notes and right corner for link.

I dont really see the utility of this, hence I would want it off by default. When would one want to eyeball a list of categories to see which ones have notes? And if you make them separate icons people are going to expect to be able to click the icons to edit the notes/links directly as happens in the book details panel.
Old 12-17-2023, 07:53 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No I meant more like a dot/mark in the corner of the icon. Left corner for notes and right corner for link.
I tried this. It is very hard for me to see them. They don't play well with the average rating gradient and will require some kind of color picker because the underlying icon is user specified with who-knows-what coloring.
Quote:
And if you make them separate icons people are going to expect to be able to click the icons to edit the notes/links directly as happens in the book details panel.
They are clickable in the tag browser, doing the same thing they do in book details.

After using it a while I put the count (the number) to the left of the icons. IMO it makes more sense there. It looks like this:

Views:	134
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	205280

Quote:
I dont really see the utility of this, hence I would want it off by default. When would one want to eyeball a list of categories to see which ones have notes?
When browsing a category to see if any are left out because I forgot to add them? Or to know if I had managed to add the notes I wanted to add? Or because I am curious about what the note is but don't want to open Browse Notes? With the context menu actions one can easily maintain them.

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	205281

I am OK with making the default "Off" although TBH I think that discoverability make "On" a better choice.

All the above said, I am not going to push hard to get this into base calibre. If you don't want it, that's OK.
Old 12-17-2023, 08:06 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I am fine with having them but defaulted to off.
Old 12-17-2023, 03:35 PM   #11
un_pogaz
Chalut o/

Quote:
Is this what you mean by your "much rather"?
Attachment 205252
Good, ""but"" that the 'left to the number' configuration.

I was thinking more like this.

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	139
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	205306

Quote:
After using it a while I put the count (the number) to the left of the icons. IMO it makes more sense there. It looks like this:
Attachment 205280
Um, avoiding the shift of the number of elements was what I would have liked to avoid (it can make a gap which I find ugly), but since the others don't seem to fit or be problematic, I'll go with it.
Thanks

Quote:
I dont really see the utility of this, hence I would want it off by default.
There are realy handy if they are clickable like the icons in the "Book detail". Mutch better than browse the huge tables "Manage authors/tags" (even with filters).
After that, I agree with deactivating them by default, but rather because this would overload the Tag Browser, which is already dense, so this choice should be left as much as possible to the user.
An example: If the user has assigned a lot of links or notes, if the icons are activated by default, the change in the Tag Browser rendering would be brutal and unsolicited. Deactivate by default, we keep the previous look during the update, and the icon appear only if the user want it.

Last edited by un_pogaz; 12-17-2023 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-17-2023, 05:33 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I was thinking more like this.
Attachment 205306
That abandons vertically aligning the icons, which works if one isn't too compulsive. It also avoids wasting space for empty icons.

For fun I will look at whether it works with clicking the "buttons" (knowing what part of the line is an icon), and how it works when the text is too long to display it all. If it works, and assuming Kovid accepts the changes, the crowd can decide which version to use.
Old 12-17-2023, 06:50 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Suggestions:
  1. provide a keyboard shortcut to show/hide Note and Link icons… then perhaps there would be no need for the L&F->Tag browser settings;
  2. if they are shown, put the icons after the book count… otherwise you'll get complaints about rivers of icons
  3. because Notes will be probably used more than Links put the Note icon first;
  4. recognising it might be a bridge too far, if there's no Note but there is a Link, force alignment of the Link icon with a non-clickable transparent icon in place of the Note icon;
BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 07:52 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Suggestions:
  1. provide a keyboard shortcut to show/hide Note and Link icons… then perhaps there would be no need for the L&F->Tag browser settings;
  2. if they are shown, put the icons after the book count… otherwise you'll get complaints about rivers of icons
  3. because Notes will be probably used more than Links put the Note icon first;
  4. recognising it might be a bridge too far, if there's no Note but there is a Link, force alignment of the Link icon with a non-clickable transparent icon in place of the Note icon;
BR
Other than the keyboard shortcut and the order of the buttons, aren't you asking for what I showed in post 16, repeated here? The count is before the buttons and the icons are aligned using an empty icon if a note/link isn't on the item.

Views:	63
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	205308

EDIT: A keyboard shortcut isn't a bad idea, but it can't replace the config settings. If they aren't there then there is no hope that someone would find the settings.

EDIT 2: here is an example with the buttons swapped so the note icon is first.

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	205310

Last edited by chaley; 12-17-2023 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2023, 09:01 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Other than the keyboard shortcut and the order of the buttons, aren't you asking for what I showed in post 16…
It would seem so. The primary intent of my suggestions were to bolster what you wrote post #19.

As well as the shortcut to toggle the icons, you should probably put a corresponding option in the Tag Browser Configure menu:

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-18 125225.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	205311

…or the Tag Browser context menu:

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-18 125334.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	205312

BR