Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-02-2023, 09:47 PM   #1
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Snow field and videos

Hi, trying to learn about Snow field technology all I have found is this: "SNOW Field function caters for a partial refresh when simple text documents are onscreen, while keeping artifacts to a minimum."

My questions are, first of all, if this could improve the video experience eliminating some of the ghosting inherent to eInk previous to Snow field function. The reason to willing to watch video on eInk is I have severe eye straining problems and it is impossible for me to use a regular screen, so eInk is my only option (maybe RLCD also, but not willing to pay 1500€ for the first color backlight it is now in sale).

Another question is if there are other partial refreshing technologies in other brands. I think Kindle has some, but as it can't play videos nor install apps it is not an option for me.

Thanks

PD: I don't know if it exists, but Onyx or another brand should develop an algorithm like Snow field for playing videos whih detects the black areas of the fotograms and remove the ghosting ocurred there. Maybe this is what Snow field does, but I don't think so as the previous quoted description talks about "simple text".

Last edited by eReader fan; 04-02-2023 at 09:51 PM.
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 03:56 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
The EInk devices that are halfway suitable for video are, in my opinion, the Boox Tab devices
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2023, 04:43 PM   #3
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
The EInk devices that are halfway suitable for video are, in my opinion, the Boox Tab devices
Why? Can you explain? There other devices with Snow field, so why the Boox Tab are better for you in video playing?

And does someone knows what is the difference between Regal and Snow field? Both are meant to do the same, but I imagine Snow field does it better than Regal just because one is newer than the other. Any info about that?

EDIT: Just discovered many old Onyx devices with Snow Field. Can't say a year but saw devices with 512Mb RAM, so at least 8 years ago.

EDIT 2: Also just updated my Note Pro from firmware 2.3 to 3.2 and now I have the option of regal refreshing. Tried it with video and it is not for it. A2 still stands for the best refreshing mode for video, as X mode looses a lot of definition. I wonder if Snow field is also for only text or if it contributes to a better video experience.

Last edited by eReader fan; 04-03-2023 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:52 PM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There other devices with Snow field, so why the Boox Tab are better for you in video playing?
It is not Regal nor Snow field - it is a unique GPU for fast refreshing.
Look here

Last edited by ottischwenk; 04-04-2023 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:48 PM   #5
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Regal mode refresh seems to be for text. I have never understood the point of it. The partial refresh is not enough to have text look sharp enough for me on a page turn and hardly better than after a page turn on normal refresh mode. It only slows everything down. I use normal mode will full refresh for reading and A2 for everything else.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2023, 08:25 AM   #6
eReader fan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
Regal mode refresh seems to be for text. I have never understood the point of it. The partial refresh is not enough to have text look sharp enough for me on a page turn and hardly better than after a page turn on normal refresh mode. It only slows everything down. I use normal mode will full refresh for reading and A2 for everything else.
Yes, regal is for text, and probably Snow field as well. Onyx isn't thinking about video on eReader, but for people who suffers from eyestrain find in eReaders a way to workaround their problems with internet, videos and, sometimes, movies. Someone without issues with screens may find it odd to watch a movie in eInk, but for certain person's it is almost the only way.

Quote:
It is not Regal nor Snow field - it is a unique GPU for fast refreshing.
Look here
I am not sure if it's a unique GPU for refreshing, or a good one that does everything. Didn't see anywhere saying it has 2 GPU's.

Besides that, this improve refreshing, but not ghosting. An algorithm to detect big black areas has to be developed to "camuflatge" ghosting. Sure this would demand good processing loads, but CPU's and GPU's on e-readers are starting to be decent.
Old 04-07-2023, 09:38 AM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard

I haveTab Ultra and Note Air and .....
Watching videos is possible with Tab Ultra (approx. 14 Hz) - unsatisfactory with Note Air and others.
Old 04-07-2023, 01:31 PM   #8
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I'm waiting for the Poke Ultra.

(No, there's no rumor of one.)
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 03:57 AM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I'm waiting for the Poke Ultra.
However, this would have to weigh around 300 grams due to the larger battery.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:50 AM   #10
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
However, this would have to weigh around 300 grams due to the larger battery.
Actually, I think that batteries have gotten crazy big.
I wouldn't have a problem with a battery half the size of the one in the Poke3.
Better Eink handling I could always use even if I never watch videos.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 07:41 AM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
The new GPU from the Tab needs a lot
Old 04-14-2023, 02:29 PM   #12
eReader fan
Addict

Quote:
I haveTab Ultra and Note Air and .....
Watching videos is possible with Tab Ultra (approx. 14 Hz) - unsatisfactory with Note Air and others.
I am a bit incredulous with your assertion, since I am watching movies since Onyx boox M96. I am not saying you didn't tell the true, just maybe the fact of knowing the Ultra has a much better GPU makes you think it is seen better. Could you upload a video comparision of both playing the same video to see it? I hope you can, and if yes, with A2 refresh mode would be great.

Is ghosting the same in Ultra than in Note Air?

Quote:
With an eReader 8" or more it makes sense to have very big batteries, but with 6" could be a good idea, making them even thinner, because one dont need productivity in a 6" device.

Last edited by eReader fan; 04-14-2023 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2023, 01:52 AM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eReader fan View Post
Could you upload a video comparision of both playing the same video to see it?
No - I don't think about it.
I gave you information, I guess you'll have to do the verification yourself.
If not, then it's not my problem.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:55 PM   #14
eReader fan
Addict

Quote:
No - I don't think about it.
I gave you information, I guess you'll have to do the verification yourself.
If not, then it's not my problem.
Just made a question, there is no need to be rough. That's why questions exists, to know opinions/wills from others beings.

Let's keep the forum polite.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:48 AM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eReader fan View Post
Just made a question, there is no need to be rough. That's why questions exists, to know opinions/wills from others beings.

Let's keep the forum polite.
I found your request to be an impertinence, because it is very easy to verify my statements - there are enough sources on the net that confirm it.