Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2022, 04:00 AM   #1
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
New Paperwhite 11

Hi,

I got a Paperwhite11 and I am struggling without KOReader o Moon+ Reader. Even so, I decided to use the stock reader mainly because I can't and I don't want to either to jb it.

Main problem has been justification been greyed out for the books. I decided to sync the books with Calibre in format azw3 and that solves it but then the problem is there is no hyphenation at all. After installing the Kfx Output plugin I converted the books to Kfx format and hyphenation is there.

Is this the way with Kindles or is it something am I missing?

Thanks

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:27 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jospalau View Post
Hi,

I got a Paperwhite11 and I am struggling without KOReader o Moon+ Reader. Even so, I decided to use the stock reader mainly because I can't and I don't want to either to jb it.

Main problem has been justification been greyed out for the books. I decided to sync the books with Calibre in format azw3 and that solves it but then the problem is there is no hyphenation at all. After installing the Kfx Output plugin I converted the books to Kfx format and hyphenation is there.

Is this the way with Kindles or is it something am I missing?

Thanks

To get hyphenation with KF8, you can use Calibre's polish to add soft-hyphens or use the Hyphenate This! plugin.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2022, 06:50 AM   #3
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To get hyphenation with KF8, you can use Calibre's polish to add soft-hyphens or use the Hyphenate This! plugin.
I normally polish without that option. Good tip! I converted all the books to kfx but I will give it a go.

For the moment I see it as crisp as my Libra2 but less bright and for me the stock reader is a limitation but I just knew I could not JB, it so it is what it is.

Old 11-26-2022, 10:52 AM   #4
jospalau
Groupie

It works. The only thing is the alignment option is still greyed out for all the books which are justified and with hyphenation. It cannot be changed like in KOReader but I always can reconvert books individually.

Last edited by jospalau; 11-26-2022 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:41 AM   #5
mangkoran
mangkoran began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
Apologize for asking this, but may I know which storage size and firmware version do you get with your PW5 (2021)? (out of the box, before any update if you do)
mangkoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2022, 01:24 AM   #6
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangkoran View Post
Apologize for asking this, but may I know which storage size and firmware version do you get with your PW5 (2021)? (out of the box, before any update if you do)
This is the signature edition with 32GB. Not sure which firmware it came with, but since it was updated once I connected to the Internet it may have been the previous version to the last one.

I never had the intention of JB it since I have other Kobo devices in which I installed easily KOReader and Plato.

For the moment I like it but I may pass it to the children if I get the Clara 2E on Christmas. I am very happy with the PW2 I got back 2014 they have been using so far.

Last edited by jospalau; 11-29-2022 at 01:27 AM.
Old 11-29-2022, 04:52 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangkoran View Post
Don't buy any Kindle thinking you'll be able to jailbreak it unless you are willing to keep it without jailbreaking.

If you want to install KOReader buy a different brand Reader such as Kobo, Pocketbook, Onyx, etc. where you can install KOreader for sure.
Old 11-29-2022, 04:56 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jospalau View Post
It works. The only thing is the alignment option is still greyed out for all the books which are justified and with hyphenation. It cannot be changed like in KOReader but I always can reconvert books individually.
You will need to edit the source eBook be is ePub or KF8 and remove all of the excess text-align: justify; lines in CSS. Just add one in the body CSS style. Then you should be able to override the alignment.

Also, add the following CSS code at the top of the CSS.
[code]html {
margin-right: -45px;
margin-left: -45px;
break-inside: avoid !important;
}[/quote]

This will lessen the excess left/right margins.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:41 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Don't buy any Kindle thinking you'll be able to jailbreak it unless you are willing to keep it without jailbreaking.
Or, for something completely different, buy it and if you can't jailbreak it, return it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:14 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Or, for something completely different, buy it and if you can't jailbreak it, return it.
But that's just really a bad idea to buy a Kindle and then return it because the Kindle does what's supposed to.

I don't buy things thinking of returning. I buy thinking of keeping and only if somethings wrong do I return. There's nothing wrong with a Kindle that cannot be jailbroken.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:25 AM   #11
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
But that's just really a bad idea to buy a Kindle and then return it because the Kindle does what's supposed to.

I don't buy things thinking of returning. I buy thinking of keeping and only if somethings wrong do I return. There's nothing wrong with a Kindle that cannot be jailbroken.
Is it wrong of me to look at the Kindle and then look at the Steam Deck (which is not only way more open, with the OS's source on Github and everything user-replaceable, but it has schematics and ifixit has replacement parts and everything), and think "I wish Valve made e-readers"? I know this is way out of their comfort zone, but I would have assumed that so were portable gaming machines after multiple failures in that area, and then the Deck came along and blew everything else out of the water.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:15 AM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Is it wrong of me to look at the Kindle and then look at the Steam Deck (which is not only way more open, with the OS's source on Github and everything user-replaceable, but it has schematics and ifixit has replacement parts and everything), and think "I wish Valve made e-readers"? I know this is way out of their comfort zone, but I would have assumed that so were portable gaming machines after multiple failures in that area, and then the Deck came along and blew everything else out of the water.
Well, there are ereaders with a much more open OS than Kindles. You aren't necessarily only stuck with Kindles, unless you want to only buy and download from Amazon. But then you wouldn't buy that Valve-made ereader anyway.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:31 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you know enough about KOReader and installing it on a Reader, then you should know enough about removing DRM or know enough to find out to remove DRM so you don't need a Kindle to read Kindle eBooks.

And I do agree that you don't need a Kindle if your goal is to run KOReader.

The question is what do you want to do with a Kindle that you cannot do with a different brand Reader? With other brands, you don't need to jailbreak. You don't need to walk on eggshells in case you botch the jailbreak. You don't need to buy in hopes you can jailbreak and then return it when you cannot.

Overall, a Kindle for jailbrekers is a crap shoot where the Kindle is crap.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:02 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Two ways to read Kindle ebooks without a Kindle
1) A kindle App on an eink Reader that runs Android. It can use native reader or KOReader for DRM free ebooks.
2) Remove the DRM. This is simplest if you have a Kindle eink (3.5.x approx or later FW) registered to your account. Once registered it need not connect ever again or even work.

I agree, if you need something that needs a jailbreak on a Kindle, buy a different ereader, a Kobo is best and an android eink 2nd best.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:25 AM   #15
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Two ways to read Kindle ebooks without a Kindle
1) A kindle App on an eink Reader that runs Android. It can use native reader or KOReader for DRM free ebooks.
2) Remove the DRM. This is simplest if you have a Kindle eink (3.5.x approx or later FW) registered to your account. Once registered it need not connect ever again or even work.

I agree, if you need something that needs a jailbreak on a Kindle, buy a different ereader, a Kobo is best and an android eink 2nd best.
I agree with this. Better Kobo, best quality in my opinion than Android eReaders but obviously less versatile