Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-12-2022, 07:10 AM   #1
madhg
madhg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
epub reader for DRM books?

I used to use Aldiko Classic, which was perfect for me. Now I've got a new tablet, Aldiko Classic has gone from google play, and Aldiko Next doesn't support DRM books. Most of the apps on google play don't support it either.

pocketbook works with DRM, but it's a bit clunky, and still under development. Are there any other android readers supporting DRM books bought from Kobo and suchlike?
madhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:09 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Adobe Digital Editions Reader?
But it depends where you bought the ebook.
With Bolinda Borrowbox Library books it's simplest to use their app (Ireland and some other countries).
Some Libraries use Overdrive. Overdrive and Borrowbox can maybe use Adobe? Also I read there something called Libby for Overdrive borrows.

But if they are bought ebooks, rather than rented / streamed / borrowed / library, why not remove the DRM and use Lithium or Pocketbook? I prefer Lithium but Pocketbook does TTS.
I have Aldiko Basic/Classic on an old Android 4 phone only because anything better won't install due to lack of RAM/Flash (Lithium does work on an Samsung Android 4 tablet, but not Pocketbox (min Android 5) or at all).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2022, 11:34 AM   #3
madhg

I have used Adobe Digital Editions occasionally on Windows, it works but is very undeveloped. The android version gets really bad reviews on google play.

I use Borrowbox for library books, I have a lot of free and public domain books, but also buy from Kobo. I could use the Kobo app to read those books, but I gave up on that because for long books it can be very slow.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:41 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bluefire Reader (based on ADE) is available for Android and supports DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 01:17 PM   #5
madhg

Thanks Jon.

It's strange that it has no star ratings on google play, after 5K+ downloads, and no information at all other than two screenshots. There's more on the Bluefire website. I might give it a try. £2.79 isn't all that much.
Advert
Old 09-12-2022, 03:49 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I used a free version of Bluefire on Android 4. Main objection was ads and it makes a copy of the ebooks (as does Aldiko). For Calibre I prefer no "import", so Calibre can delete and replace.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:53 AM   #7
madhg

I emailed Bluefire support asking for info on the features of the ereader app, and got a prompt reply from the boss saying, in effect, forget it, it's no better than the Adobe digital editions app.

So, I'll forget about other options and stick with pocketbook. It'll be fine once I'm used to it.
Old 09-13-2022, 11:47 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhg View Post
I emailed Bluefire support asking for info on the features of the ereader app, and got a prompt reply from the boss saying, in effect, forget it, it's no better than the Adobe digital editions app.

So, I'll forget about other options and stick with pocketbook. It'll be fine once I'm used to it.
You can also remove the DRM. Then the selection of reading apps will be much larger.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote