Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2022, 09:53 AM   #1
diesel_fan
diesel_fan began at the beginning.

Device: None
Libra 2 or Sage?

Hello!
I am shopping for a new reader and looking at Kobo Libra 2 or Sage.
Is Sage reader worth extra $100? My biggest concern it’s battery life issues..Do you believe it will be addressed with future firmware updates? I am not going to use stylus very often, but may once in a while.
diesel_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:16 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_fan View Post
Hello!
I am shopping for a new reader and looking at Kobo Libra 2 or Sage.
Is Sage reader worth extra $100? My biggest concern it’s battery life issues..Do you believe it will be addressed with future firmware updates? I am not going to use stylus very often, but may once in a while.
Depends. The Sage is faster, has a larger screen and some features the Libra doesn't have, like Dropbox and note-taking ability. The Libra weighs less and has somewhat better battery life, mine also has a nicer and more even frontlight.

I use both of them, but like the Sage a small bit more. Whether you would, is something only you can decide.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2022, 01:14 PM   #3
diesel_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Depends. The Sage is faster, has a larger screen and some features the Libra doesn't have, like Dropbox and note-taking ability. The Libra weighs less and has somewhat better battery life, mine also has a nicer and more even frontlight.

I use both of them, but like the Sage a small bit more. Whether you would, is something only you can decide.
Thank you! How faster is Sage compared to Libra 2? Is it really noticeable? I read somewhere that Sage only using 1 core for reading and enables rest of the cores for note taking, etc?
Also - about screens: is it glass on both models or only on Sage? How reflective is Sage screen compared to Libra 2?
Would you prefer Sage in white, if that was an option? Of course it’s a personal choice - just wondering if white may be more (or less?) practical on the sunny day if accidentally left unattended outside - will not get so much hot.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-02-2022, 01:26 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you! How faster is Sage compared to Libra 2? Is it really noticeable? I read somewhere that Sage only using 1 core for reading and enables rest of the cores for note taking, etc?
Also - about screens: is it glass on both models or only on Sage? How reflective is Sage screen compared to Libra 2?
Would you prefer Sage in white, if that was an option? Of course it’s a personal choice - just wondering if white may be more (or less?) practical on the sunny day if accidentally left unattended outside - will not get so much hot.

Thanks in advance!
The difference in speed is noticeable even when just reading. Everything from page turning to searching to changing fonts is just zippier on the Sage. Not by a huge margin, but still noticeably.

The screens look much alike to me, IMHO the Sage is not more reflective than the Libra. Ofc the Libra has a recessed screen, but still I don't see much difference.

I wouldn't want any of my readers to be white, but yeah, that's a purely personal preference. I also never read in direct sunlight.
Old 05-02-2022, 02:32 PM   #5
lesley9
Enthusiast
lesley9 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lesley9 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lesley9 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lesley9 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lesley9 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lesley9 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lesley9 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lesley9 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lesley9 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lesley9 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lesley9 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Sage, Kindle Oasis 2
I have the Kindle Oasis (7") and the Sage. I was surprised how much that extra inch in size counted. I guess I got lucky but my Sage has dead even lighting. I use Dropbox often as it's how I transfer converted Kindle books to the Sage. A lot easier than having to plug the ereader to the PC. You will have to recharge more often on the Sage but it does recharge very fast. I don't use the note features. For me, built in Dropbox and 8" screen were worth it. I always get black ereaders (and phones). I do wish there were more cover colors but I quite like the light green Kobo makes. The Sage is no more or less reflective than my Oasis - eInk screens on all of them.
lesley9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2022, 01:07 AM   #6
diesel_fan

Thank you all for your inputs! I am leaning towards purchasing Kobo Sage. Would you recommend to buy it from Amazon or directly from Kobo site? From their site I can add 10% off coupon, but with Amazon its worry free returns, if something is not right.
Another question - is there any light, but with enough protection, cases / covers available for Sage? I can see many for Libra 2, but for Sage its somewhat limited. I kind of like felt one on Etsy, but its more of sleeve.. Also - would you recommend any screen protectors? Wondering if screen protector will be too reflective...
Old 05-03-2022, 02:41 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you all for your inputs! I am leaning towards purchasing Kobo Sage. Would you recommend to buy it from Amazon or directly from Kobo site? From their site I can add 10% off coupon, but with Amazon its worry free returns, if something is not right.
Another question - is there any light, but with enough protection, cases / covers available for Sage? I can see many for Libra 2, but for Sage its somewhat limited. I kind of like felt one on Etsy, but its more of sleeve.. Also - would you recommend any screen protectors? Wondering if screen protector will be too reflective...
I wouldn't recommend using a screen protector on an eink reader. It decreases contrast, which can be an issue with eink.

As to covers, sorry, no idea. I only use sleeves. The Sage is heavy enough without a cover. But if you're going to carry it around a lot, then you'll probably need a cover.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:15 PM   #8
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
I bought the power cover with my sage and so far no issues with battery life. I just plug it in every few days...

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:28 PM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I wouldn't recommend using a screen protector on an eink reader. It decreases contrast, which can be an issue with eink.
You'll be pleased to learn that future screenshots of my Sage may be less traumatic for you. My out-of-box screen protector is curling at the edge and will likely exceed even my tolerance for it. When that happens I won't have to post trigger warnings with my screenshots for MR's discerning users.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:04 PM   #10
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I've written up a comparison of the two as I've had the Sage since release, and the Libra 2 since (I believe) February.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346632

I tried to cover the things that would matter, and that the two devices have in common. Rather than talk about dropbox support on the Sage and say well the Libra 2 doesn't have it so it's terrible for Dropbox support. I didn't reply here with it as this is not the first post, or even the second, or third asking about these two specific devices. I've lost count of the number of posts asking about the two compared to each other.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:59 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
You'll be pleased to learn that future screenshots of my Sage may be less traumatic for you. My out-of-box screen protector is curling at the edge and will likely exceed even my tolerance for it. When that happens I won't have to post trigger warnings with my screenshots for MR's discerning users.
Yay!
Old 05-05-2022, 06:06 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I looked at Dropbox. I don't use it or Google Drive. If I want to put files on the Internet I use my own hosting, but I can't remember the last time I needed to do it.

I looked at the the Dropbox support on the Elipsa and Sage:
1) You separately create an account or use an existing one. Kobo doesn't provide and account. It's purely support to use an existing account.

2) Dropbox needs good Wifi AND good Internet/broadband. I use Calibre exclusively to manage all my ereaders and Wife's. She had upgraded from a Kindle PW3 to a Kobo Libra Original last year. So I've concluded that Dropbox integration does nothing for me.

3) Did I read a method to add Dropbox integration to other Kobos?

4) Sync also does nothing except add software updates (separately for Elipsa/Sage Nebo based handwriting recognition. Usually I update Manually. My Kobo for proofing might be still at 4.26.x, basically Sync seems to be only for content bought from Kobo.

5) I'd love to disable Dropbox menu on Notebook export as it's not even set up. There would be one less step on exports.

I did look at the Dropbox setup and went to Kobo site and then Dropbox. I stopped when I realised Kobo didn't provide an account (I'd assumed related to the Kobo ereader logon).

I also have an old PC as a Linux Samba server in the attic for backups & sharing within the house. It no longer supports older Windows computers, but those are hardly ever powered on. Since 2016 all the laptops (four) are Linux Mint ending 25 years of Windows. Three infrequently used PCs have XP, Win7 and Win10 (usually no Internet), for games. Really only my youngest son uses one, the Win10 box which dual boots Linux.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-05-2022 at 06:11 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:59 AM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

For me, Dropbox is invaluable (I have had a paid account for years), but not particularly on the Sage. I hardly ever use it there, mostly I load my books via Calibre.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:27 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
For me, Dropbox is invaluable (I have had a paid account for years), but not particularly on the Sage. I hardly ever use it there, mostly I load my books via Calibre.
Exactly my point. Dropbox is important or not apart from the fact of some Kobo models supporting it. Even should you be a paying customer of Dropbox using it many times a day it's unlikely with a Kobo if you use a Kobo with Calibre.

So the Libra vs Sage is the extra size (nice) and possibly the handwriting recognition/notebooks which has about zero integration to the ereader functionality. Text annotation on touch screen is better for epubs and the PDF annotation is like a pen on paper. No conversion to text. So like PC or Tablets that support scribbling on a PDF. Really if you need the PDFs and scribbling on them you need an Elipsa or other 10" model with stylus.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote