Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-08-2022, 10:40 AM   #1
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Clip bar

I am a little puzzled as to why I can't seem to use the full width of the clip bars.

No matter what I try I can only populate approximately 50% of the Clip Bar and 60% of Clip Bar2 (see attached).

If I add new clips anywhere in Clip Bar the extreme right clip of that bar gets pushed down to the start of Clip Bar2, and the last item of that bar disappears.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil 001.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	193167  
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 11:21 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There's a hard 20 clips per toolbar limit (for a total of 40 clips), if I recall correctly. We have to have finite numbers in order to be able to assign consistent keyboard shortcuts to them. Much like the 10 total Plugin quick launch shortcuts (5 per toolbar). The clip toolbars are for your favorites (with keyboard shortcuts). Just use the View->Clips DockWidget if you need access to every single one of your clips.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-08-2022 at 11:29 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2022, 11:29 AM   #3
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There's a hard 20 clips per toolbar limit (for a total of 40 clips), if I recall correctly. We have to have finite numbers in order to be able to assign consistent keyboard shortcuts to them. Much like the 10 total Plugin quick launch shortcuts (5 per toolbar). The toolbars are for your favorites (with keyboard shortcuts). Just use the View->Clips DockWidget if you need access to every single one of your clips.
Thanks, I understand now.

Looks like I will have to decide what my most important 40 clips are and restrict it to those.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:33 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
Thanks, I understand now.

Looks like I will have to decide what my most important 40 clips are and restrict it to those.
As mentioned, the Clips DockWidget works pretty much the same way as the two toolbars. It's just that not all will have keyboard shortcuts if you have more than 40.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #5
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Quote:
As mentioned, the Clips DockWidget works pretty much the same way as the two toolbars. It's just that not all will have keyboard shortcuts if you have more than 40.
I must admit I have never used the Clips DockWidget, something I might try from now on.

Keyboard shortcuts are not a problem as there are only a couple of them that I use anyway, and neither are for clips.
Advert
Old 04-08-2022, 12:16 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

As someone who doesn't use much in the way of keyboard shortcuts either, I've never really seen the appeal of the clips bars. I just stack the Clips widget with the Book Browser (on the left) and have all of my clips accessible without needing to waste all of the menu real estate that the menubars do.

I definitely understand filling up the clips bars with clips for heavy keyboard shortcut users, though.
Old 04-09-2022, 04:27 AM   #7
Ashjuk
Fanatic

I have enabled the Clips widget and will try to wean myself off using the clip bars.

Given time I might be able dispense with the clip bars completely.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:47 PM   #8
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
I have enabled the Clips widget and will try to wean myself off using the clip bars.

Given time I might be able dispense with the clip bars completely.
Why?

I use the clip bars all the time when cleaning epub code. I find it makes ife much easier.

/
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:19 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
Why?

I use the clip bars all the time when cleaning epub code. I find it makes ife much easier.
Because the exact same clips can be used to clean epubs without using the bars. Nothing is being given up by using clips via the Clips Dockwidget. It's just a different path to the exact same destination. But the dock widget doesn't limit you to 40 available clips.
Old 04-10-2022, 03:33 AM   #10
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Quote:
Why?
I use the clip bars all the time when cleaning epub code. I find it makes ife much easier./
As did I, but I was falling foul of the hard 40 limit of the two Clip Bars.

As DiapDealer has said, the advantage of the Clip dock widget is that it does not have this limit. If, like me, you have a large number of pre-defined clips the dock widget is the better option.

It is a different way of working, but having access to all my clips outweighs the slight inconvenience of sometimes having to scroll through the list to find the one I want.

I am not sure yet whether having the Clip dock stacked below BookBrowser, or having them tabbed is the better option.
Old 04-10-2022, 09:04 PM   #11
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As did I, but I was falling foul of the hard 40 limit of the two Clip Bars.

I am not sure yet whether having the Clip dock stacked below BookBrowser, or having them tabbed is the better option.
I only use about thirty clips so the limit does not affect me but I will have a look at stacking the Clip dock stacked below BookBrowser
Old 04-11-2022, 06:14 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

You can dock the widget anywhere--stacked or tabbed. I only mentioned stacked beneath Book Browser because that's where I like it.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:23 PM   #13
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard

Quote:
You can dock the widget anywhere--stacked or tabbed. I only mentioned stacked beneath Book Browser because that's where I like it.
Thanks for the info. I will have a play later.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:40 AM   #14
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I will have a play later.
Right I have had a quick play. Nice feature but it is not as good for me as the Clip Bar for one specific reason.

The clip bar inserts the clip at the cursor/highlight position whether it is on the Code View screen or in a Find and replace box. (I do both a lot)

Clip dock so far as I can see will only insert into the the Code View screen.

Or am I missing something?
Old 04-12-2022, 03:42 AM   #15
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Quote:
Clip dock so far as I can see will only insert into the the Code View screen.
Or am I missing something?
No, I noticed that too.

I am still using a combination of the Clip Bars and the Clip Dock. I have organised my clips so that any I think I might use in F&R are on the Clip Bars.

Less frequently used ones can be accessed from the dock.