Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2021, 11:29 AM   #1
olbeggaols
Enthusiast
olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Max Lumi/Kobo Forma/Kindle Paperwhite
Set up File Structure

Hello,

New Kobo user here. I just received delivry of my Kobo Forma. I am using this device to view the appearance of e-books I am creating. I am loading my books to the Kobo via the usb cable and sometimes through Calibre.

Using the usb cable I created a folder with sub-folders to hold the books in a similar file structure to that in which they are being originally created on my PC. My issue in this regard is that opening the Kobo to view the book, it does not appear in the file structure I created. Is this normal? Is there a way to have the My Books section show the file structure?

I read back five or six pages of this thread and found no reference to this issue.

PS: I see some users with huge kamma numbers. When I try to give them a bump, it appears that I can bump them up just one point. Is there a way to change the number of kamma points I can give to a helpful person?
olbeggaols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:49 AM   #2
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I don't think Kobo collections organized by Calibre store books in folders. However, Koreader does, which is what I do. They go under documents in the koreader folder. But that's only if you choose to use koreader.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2021, 11:50 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by olbeggaols View Post
New Kobo user here. I just received delivry of my Kobo Forma. I am using this device to view the appearance of e-books I am creating. I am loading my books to the Kobo via the usb cable and sometimes through Calibre.

Using the usb cable I created a folder with sub-folders to hold the books in a similar file structure to that in which they are being originally created on my PC. My issue in this regard is that opening the Kobo to view the book, it does not appear in the file structure I created. Is this normal? Is there a way to have the My Books section show the file structure?
The stock Kobo firmware does not expose the file system. You could install an alternative reader such as KOReader though even with KOReader, I use it's search on the calibre metadata. Personally, I find that search works with fewer taps needed and a lot faster (database vs. file system). Search lets me find a book by author, title or series and avoids the issues of books with multiple authors (way back in the distant past, I used to create symlinks for those books).

Quote:
I read back five or six pages of this thread and found no reference to this issue.
You have to go back years to find those discussions scattered around various threads. One example is Kobo library vs file/directory system, wifi which I only remember for the original poster editing most of his posts to remove their content.

As for karma, check in the Lounge for What is "Karma" and How Does it Work? and How karma at MobileRead works

Last edited by DNSB; 04-30-2021 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Added Karma info links
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:57 AM   #4
olbeggaols
Enthusiast
olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank you both!

Edit: Nevermind this. I found the forum and wiki.
So first: What is koreader and how can I get it. And, besides my issue with files, what is the advantage? I am assuming this is something that alters the original Kobo software. Does this mess with that?

Alternatively I can live with search, but is there any disadvantage to setting up the files in a file structure anyway?

Last edited by olbeggaols; 04-30-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:24 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't organize by directories. You'll just end up with a bunch of empty directories. You can use Calibre to organize by Collections and series. That's the easiest way to do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #6
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Thank you both!

Alternatively I can live with search, but is there any disadvantage to setting up the files in a file structure anyway?
Not at all.. If you are manually copying your files on the device and folders help you keep it organized,, the Kobo won't care in the least. Just don't mess with the folders that start with a '.'
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:30 PM   #7
olbeggaols
Enthusiast

Hello,

I suppose there is no real conflict between the answer of rashkae and that of JSWolf: No damage, but useless in terms of the operation of the Kobo.

I will have to see how I feel during actual use.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:52 PM   #8
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hang around for a while, and you'll find that whatever JSWolf's preference for something is, he must demand *everyone* do it his way. No point dwelling on it, we all have our little disfunctions
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:30 PM   #9
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Koreader is a 3rd party reader software. If you install it, it won't affect your normal Kobo software in any way. It's superior for reading pdf files. It also allows you to organize books by folder, which for me is an advantage. I just drag and drop. Anyway, you can try it perfectly safely if you wish.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:35 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There is also AutoShelf (but I've no idea if it still works). See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=254554

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:43 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
To answer the question properly we need to go back a few steps and establish your goal. Why do you think you want a folder structure for your ebooks? What are you trying to achieve?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Hang around for a while, and you'll find that whatever JSWolf's preference for something is, he must demand *everyone* do it his way. No point dwelling on it, we all have our little disfunctions

It's nothing to do with my way. It's the Kobo way. Kobo doesn't organize by directory.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:39 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Koreader is a 3rd party reader software. If you install it, it won't affect your normal Kobo software in any way. It's superior for reading pdf files. It also allows you to organize books by folder, which for me is an advantage. I just drag and drop. Anyway, you can try it perfectly safely if you wish.
IMHO, it's a good idea to get used to the reading systems that come with the Kobo firmware before trying another program for reading eBooks.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:11 PM   #14
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
More current: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/wiki
There is also a forum here on MobileRead.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
More current: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/wiki
There is also a forum here on MobileRead.

Luck;
Ken
Please read my post right before yours.