Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
Book Designer issue

I am using Book Designer to try to convert some mobi files to html, but the only files it is able to see are the DRMed .prc files. It does not seem to be able to recognize the DRM free .mobi files. Any ideas?
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:42 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There is no difference between .mobi and .prc, but it seems that bookdesigner only recognizes .prc. So, rename the .mobi to .prc. If the DRMed .prc has the same name, change ebook.mobi to ebook_free.prc or whatever (or create a new subdirectory for the drm-free versions).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2008, 11:53 PM   #3
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, if I simply add .prc to the end of the name it does not actually change the file type from .mobi to .prc is there a way to make a .mobi file appear as a .prc file so that it will be seen by the book designer? Am I just not renaming the file correctly?
Old 12-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Windows hides filename extensions by default. In a standard file window, unselect Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Hide extensions for known filetypes. Then right click on the file and select rename.

If you want extensions shown by default, make the same change to Folder Options on the Control Panel.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #5
jabberwock_11
Addict

well, that worked as far as renaming it and changing it to a .prc file is concerned (much thanks for the patient tutorial), but book designer has the same issue that it does with all of the other .prc files...it states that it can not "unpack" the file. Sigh...
Advert
Old 12-07-2008, 12:33 AM   #6
jabberwock_11
Addict

I just downloaded a DRM free copy of Call of the Wild in three different formats. the book designer did not allow me to unpack the .prc version, but it DID let me get into the .kml version...there must be some issue with using .prc files
Old 12-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post
I just downloaded a DRM free copy of Call of the Wild in three different formats. the book designer did not allow me to unpack the .prc version, but it DID let me get into the .kml version...there must be some issue with using .prc files
Download Calibre and use mobi2oeb to unpack DRM free Mobipocket format eBooks into HTML and you can then use the resulting HTML to load into Book Designer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
jabberwock_11
Addict

I downloaded Calibre looking for something that would make using Book Designer easier to use and ended up finding exactly what I needed all in one package! Calibre is AWESOME! It does everything that I hoped BD would do, but without all of the issues and in an easy to use and attractive package. Thanks for the help with everything folks!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post
I downloaded Calibre looking for something that would make using Book Designer easier to use and ended up finding exactly what I needed all in one package! Calibre is AWESOME! It does everything that I hoped BD would do, but without all of the issues and in an easy to use and attractive package. Thanks for the help with everything folks!
Happy to help. I do find that sometimes Book Designer gives me a better result. But that does depend on the source. I recently tried to convert the lastest Star Trek eBook from Mobipocket to LRF using Calibre and found that to get a satisfactory result, I'd need to edit the HTML. It was just easier to load the HTML into Book Designer and format from there.

If you ever take a look at some of the Mobipocket eBooks under the hood, you'll wonder how anyone ever got hired to make them as the underlying HTML can be really awful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Calibre and BD serve different purposes; Calibre is designed to be an automated format conversion tool; BD is for manual book editing. Really a case of comparing "apples and oranges".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #11
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
I "clean" stuff up in Book Designer, and then "publish/convert" it in Calibre. I couldn't get along without either one --- fantastic tools for the ebook freak!

Tim
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote