Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-12-2019, 10:08 PM   #1
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
An Oblique Way of Getting Some Credits from Google Play.

Was looking just a little while ago at Google "Drive's" choices of cloud storage plans. Noticed that the two for-pay plans that they've got (100 GB and 200 GB; $1.99/mo. and $2.99/mo., respectively) have "extra benefits." Among them are credits for Google Play.

Google gave precious little other information about "Drive," where I was looking. How many credits do you get, how often, and how much value (dollars-off) do the credits have? I don't know--they didn't say. Do you get more credits or more value in credits if you select the 200 GB plan over the 100 GB plan? Again, I don't know.

Storage in the cloud is basically a commodity nowadays--if you need some extra storage for cheap, and the choice of paying by the month, instead of once a year, iDrive, OneDrive, Dropbox, et al. don't seem to have much to distinguish themselves. The Google Play credits might be the one thing to tip the balance in favor of Google "Drive.'

Google's "Drive."

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 08-12-2019 at 10:12 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:22 PM   #2
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
With iDrive you can specify folders and times for them to be automatically backed up. Is there something similar with Google Drive? (I suppose I could learn Windows PowerShell and write a script.)
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2019, 11:32 PM   #3
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
With iDrive you can specify folders and times for them to be automatically backed up. Is there something similar with Google Drive? (I suppose I could learn Windows PowerShell and write a script.)
Sorry, but IDK. However, we've got a vast repository of knowledge here in this subforum; maybe someone will step up and help.

Also, if you or someone else finds out how much in Google Play credits a person receives, I hope that you/they will share that information with the rest of us.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 08-12-2019 at 11:37 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
If I remember correctly that is the one thing I did not like about Google Drive. You could not just specify which folders and files to automatically upload. They had a folder on C:\ that you had to use for uploading. I remember it was very unwieldy and almost impossible to use if you had multiple HDs on your PC.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #5
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Google Drive Backup and Sync

Yes you can now select folders from your PC and external devices with "Backup and Sync". I have been using Drive (100GB plan) as a replacement for Dropbox for several years now and it meets all my backup and cloud storage needs. Private information I keep out of the cloud on local storage only.

On the matter of the Google credits, I do receive emails from time to time offering credits, but they are mostly useless to me. Books, Movies, Apps - I have never found anything of interest to buy. The only times I have wanted to purchase Apps such as SmartAudio and Moon Reader Pro there weren't any credits at that time -- and let's face it, Apps are pretty inexpensive at mostly <$4! And I lead a very sheltered life, having <20 apps on my phone and Chromebook - and that includes the pre-installed ones that can't be uninstalled.

HOW DOES BACKUP AND SYNC APP WORK
Spoiler:

As the name suggests, the app offers two functionalities — backup and sync. In the former case, the app lets you create a backup of your entire computer or the selected folders on Google Drive. You can also backup files from a USB drive or SD card.

The term backup is misleading here for the folders are constantly synced as well. Meaning, any change you make to the synced files on your computer or Google Drive will reflect on the other side too.

When it comes to sync, you can sync all your Google Drive folders or selected folders to your computer. That lets you access your Drive content on your PC even when you're offline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
If I remember correctly that is the one thing I did not like about Google Drive. You could not just specify which folders and files to automatically upload. They had a folder on C:\ that you had to use for uploading. I remember it was very unwieldy and almost impossible to use if you had multiple HDs on your PC.
Apache
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert