Notices

Old 02-14-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
SueK
Learner
SueK began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
Help Needed for PRS505

Hi All,

(Sorry if you've already read this, but I'm new to MR and posted it elsewhere before)

I'm an Aussie and up until now have had a great time with my PRS505 which I bought on eBay last year as it hasn't been released out here as yet.

Started having problems where it wouldn't turn off and the eBook library wouldn't open when it was connected.

I have read some prospective solutions from this forum and another friend(thank you) and tried some but to no avail.

Have tried the soft reset and the hard resets. With the latter, although the icon didn't turn blue nor did the all reset message appear. I tried the 'Recovery from Catastrophic Failure' by resetting 10 times and the PRS500 displays 'Firmware update did not complete successfully. Please try again'.

Now when I connect to the computer the PRS500 display changes to 'Updating firmware' and then Explorer openss showing the PRS500 as Drive F and a file named Protected!! with 0 Bytes and File Type 'File' is listed. The eBook library now opens but the PRS shows as Error.

I read a second post on hard reset which said in part to Log into the Sony store and goto Account/Manage Devices and authorise the device to my account, but this only authorised my PC and not the PRS500.

Any Ideas? Would be grateful for any assistance.

Sue

Last edited by SueK; 02-14-2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Input incorrect device model originally
SueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueK View Post
I read a second post on hard reset which said in part to Log into the Sony store and goto Account/Manage Devices and authorise the device to my account, but this only authorised my PC and not the PRS500.

Any Ideas? Would be grateful for any assistance.

Sue
Try this... press the reset button, then hook it up to the PC... then turn it on. See if that helps.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2009, 01:17 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome, SueK, to MobileRead. Hope PilotBobs suggestion helps.

If not, keep asking.......I'm sure an answer will be found somewhere!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:03 AM   #4
SueK
Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Try this... press the reset button, then hook it up to the PC... then turn it on. See if that helps.

BOb
Thanks Bob,

My original post is significantly truncated. Not sure why.

Anyway. I tried your suggestion. The unit doesn't turn off (slide switch wouldn't turn it off in the initial stages of my problem time either) and as I have cleared the firmware I can't turn it off via Settings/Advanced settings.

When I do a reset and try to turn off by the slideswitch it does a re-start and I tried to jag it by connecting at that stage. Unfortunately no luck.

Suek
Old 02-14-2009, 02:05 AM   #5
SueK
Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome, SueK, to MobileRead. Hope PilotBobs suggestion helps.

If not, keep asking.......I'm sure an answer will be found somewhere!
Thanks for your support. With the information I've seen here and people's willingness to offer help, I feel sure someone will have knowledge of this problem and pass it on.

SueK
Advert
Old 02-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Anyway. I tried your suggestion. The unit doesn't turn off (slide switch wouldn't turn it off in the initial stages of my problem time either) and as I have cleared the firmware I can't turn it off via Settings/Advanced settings.
Right.. this is eInk... so when you press the reset button the screen won't change. But, it is OFF.

I'm trying to find Igorsky's post to Zelda. She has this issue I think and he recommended this to fix it. I'm trying to find the post. Not sure if it is on the Wiki.

BOb
Old 02-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
When I do a reset and try to turn off by the slideswitch it does a re-start and I tried to jag it by connecting at that stage. Unfortunately no luck.

Suek
So, you tried these steps from the Wiki?

Recovering a brick

1. You're stuck at "Reader starting up"
2. Paperclip the reset button then slide the power toggle.
3. When the screen goes blank, quickly connect the PC usb cable.
The Reader should reboot and show the USB connect in a minute or so, then you can use the Sony Updater to reflash your Reader.

BOb
Old 02-14-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
SueK
Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Right.. this is eInk... so when you press the reset button the screen won't change. But, it is OFF.

I'm trying to find Igorsky's post to Zelda. She has this issue I think and he recommended this to fix it. I'm trying to find the post. Not sure if it is on the Wiki.

BOb
Bob,

Firstly, the unit is a PRS505 which may not make a diference anyway. My hubby input the original message and got it wrong.

The screen is always on and displaying the firmware message (either updating firmware or update did not complete successfully etc ) and when I do a reset with the unit disconnected from the PC nothing happens until I slide the on/off switch and then it does a restart and shows the starting up screen. It then displays Update did not complete successfully etc.

If I try the reset with the unit connected to the PC and then slide the on/off switch, nothing happens and because I am connected the screen is displaying updating firmware now.

With respect to your next post, I have tried that process but will try again. I'm guessing that I just need to fluke connecting at the exact time it turns off which is what the screen goes monentarily blank.

SueK
Old 02-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
OK, so it's not totally dead - that's good. Personally, I'd try using the official Sony updater on it and see how you get on. If you were previously running the 1.1 firmware, then you'll need to do a bit of tweaking, as otherwise it'll stop early as it's not set up to re-flash, just to update (although it does reflash fine!). The best guide for this is probably in Appendix C of Valloric's 1.2 PDF guide - downloadable here.

Give that a go & let us know how you get on! There are other things to try if that doesn't work, but one thing at a time!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:14 AM   #10
SueK
Learner

Hi GwynneEvans,

Have just seen your last post to me and as you suggested here I ran the Sony Updater again and got it to work. (See my post to TonyJ1).

The first time I ran it I stopped at the PRS version file as it was a video file and not a .dat file as the instructions said, however this time I opened it in Notebook and it displayed the numbers 110018040 and I changed the last 0 to a 1 and it all ran OK.

I was then back to the stage where the eBook library wouldn't open with the Reader connected to the Laptop so I took Bob's advice and tried another computer and was able to open the eBook library and go to Sony and register the device. Then back to the original Laptop and I had to try a different USB port to get it to work.

All is working fine now and I have the modified Sony Updater setup on my Desktop.

Thanks to you, Bob and all others for your help on this occasion.

Regards

SueK