Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
Kobo for kids?

I have the KA1 for myself and love it. I would like my 7 year old to have an e-reader for himself as he is starting to consume more and more books. He is not an advanced reader so he still enjoys pictures books and books like Dog Man (comic style). I do NOT want him to have a tablet with apps. We have those. I want a black and white e-reader (e-ink not back lit) that encourages reading only (no fancy options) but that will display pictures and comics nicely without having to zoom. Any suggestions? I would prefer a kobo but open to other brands.
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineStewart View Post
I have the KA1 for myself and love it. I would like my 7 year old to have an e-reader for himself as he is starting to consume more and more books. He is not an advanced reader so he still enjoys pictures books and books like Dog Man (comic style). I do NOT want him to have a tablet with apps. We have those. I want a black and white e-reader (e-ink not back lit) that encourages reading only (no fancy options) but that will display pictures and comics nicely without having to zoom. Any suggestions? I would prefer a kobo but open to other brands.
I suspect that a 6 inch ereader is not really going to cut it for most picture books and comics. The KA1 might suffice. You could download a few books from the library and see.

However, the Onyx Note 10.3" ereader which should be available in the next month or so would probably be ideal for that type of reading. The problem is the price. If it is just for reading while at home, it might be fine in the hands of a 7 year old. To carry about daily, maybe not so.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2018, 02:03 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If you want to display comics nicely (I assume these are black and white comics, since you're talking eink) you're going to want a large screen device. The problem there is that large eink devices are both expensive and fragile. Unless you're super cashed-up, I think it's a bad idea for a seven year old, and it would be better to explore tablet reading with good parental controls in place. It should be pretty simple to just install reading apps and not allow your child privileges to install other apps.

I managed to teach my kid to keep a small six inch ereader unbroken (in a good case and with lots of training) once he was nine or ten, but it was a cast-off and it would not have been a disaster if he broke it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The first time I gave ereaders to my children who were over eight years of age they were promptly broken. The replacement ereaders (that they had to contribute money towards) were were properly encased and have been better treated and they've lasted so far. The iPad that they received from a family member a few Christmases ago is currently demonstrating how cracked a tablet's screen can be and still function.

I've set up a Kid's mode/restricted account on my tablet for my six year old that only allows access to reading apps both because she still reads picture books and also because experience states that she's not ready to care for an ereader. My tablet is also encased in a silicon case that has already been proven to protect against corner drops onto a tile floor just to be on the safe side.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
Larken
Where's the backlight??
Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and Kobo Glo HD
My six and seven year old's both have iPad minis. I've locked them down with parental controls. Then I installed the Kobo app. I purchase books that are age appropriate from Kobo and sort them into a Kids folder. The app isn't the most intuitive, so they haven't figured out that they can view more books than just theirs.
Larken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2018, 08:00 AM   #6
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
My 9YO has been reading (voraciously) on an elderly Touch for about a year and a half (it broke recently and got replaced by a second hand Glo, to which he had to contribute some money).
His 7YO brother has been reading on my Aura for a few days now, and on his birthday in april it will become his property

Pictures are displayed OK (depending on how well the epub is formatted, IME) but these things are definitely not suited to reading pdf formatted comic books (zooming, panning,...) due to their low res and small screen.

If you really want the device to read comic books, you may want to buy something with a higher resolution (which does NOT necessarily equal bigger screen). I'm not going to do that though - the e-reader's for books, comics will have to be consumed some other way (maybe someday on a tablet, or just on paper).

You may want to look into the higher res 6" devices: Tolino 2 HD has 1448 x 1072 pixels (that's double the current Aura v2 resolution, and similar to the current H2O (but at a much lower price)). Higher resolution is better I think if you need to display PDF (or anything at full page size)
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineStewart View Post
I don't understand the aversion to tablets. A PDF of The Cat in the Hat or similar picture book will look and work better on the cheapest tablet than it would on the highest end e-ink reader.

you could always set up a kid's account on the tablet and turn off internet.

For a novel, yeah, an e-reader is better suited, but not so much for comics and other image heavy books.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #8
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I would personally suggest just going with an android tablet and locking it down. As for e-reading apps, I personally prefer Lithium over Moon+ and the other alternatives. A tablet would be much better for image-heavy books, and less delicate. Also, the slight lagginess of e-readers may become annoying for a 7-year old.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:46 AM   #9
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
... on the other hand, whey they get used to reading real books, you can't beat an e-reader (preferably with front light like Glo and other recent ones).

One 'use' I never thought about ('cause I don't do it myself): I noticed that both my boys look up words in the dictionary really often. Which is, of course, really good for their vocabulary
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote