Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
BCotton
Connoisseur
BCotton doesn't litterBCotton doesn't litterBCotton doesn't litter

Device: Boox M90, Sony PRS-300, PB360+, HP Touchpad
Question Overclock Boox?

Possible to overclock the Freescale processors?
BCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Why on earth wouuld you do that?
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
BCotton
Connoisseur

Get faster page refresh.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCotton View Post
Get faster page refresh.
...odd thought with a slow E-paper screen.

What gives you the impression that CPU power's the bottleneck? The only time I get delays which might possibly be improved by overclocking is when doing wild jumps in very large documents... and even then I'm less than sure whether the issue's not memory access.

If you want to improve that, I'd reckon the best way would be to write/port a viewer with tunable caching parameters.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
When reading graphics-heavy magazines in PDF format I run into long page turn delays very often, even if the PDF contains only an excerpt of three or four pages. Though I'm not sure whether this would be any better with an overclocked CPU, I am definitely sure that the bottleneck is not the E-paper screen - it could be the RAM or memory access though...
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
When reading graphics-heavy magazines in PDF format I run into long page turn delays very often, even if the PDF contains only an excerpt of three or four pages. Though I'm not sure whether this would be any better with an overclocked CPU, I am definitely sure that the bottleneck is not the E-paper screen - it could be the RAM or memory access though...
ack - point taken

I still suspect that better caching would show more effect, though
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #7
BCotton
Connoisseur

There was a similar thread about iRex Iliad. Somebody had uploaded an application that --underclocked-- the CPU between pageturns, to help conserve battery. So a slower processor should not make a lot of difference. What about more RAM. Wonder if it would be possible to upgrade RAM.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:00 PM   #8
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Be nice to try this with the Boox N96ML+
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote