Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-05-2016, 02:07 AM   #1
jerry7171
jerry7171 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Amazon Cloud : good or bad idea?

Currently I have my Calibre library stored at Dropbox, but as I'm beginning to migrate my Plex library to Amazon Cloud, I started considering doing the same with Calibre.

My assumption is that nearly anyone using Plex has ripped their own content. Now with Amazon and Plex in agreement to let users of the unlimited cloud storage create a Plex server at Amazon and store their files there, I started thinking that using it for my Calibre Library would be a good fit for me since I have unlimited storage there.

A few years ago I am sure I read that using Amazon to host my library was a bad idea as Amazon supposedly would actively screen files and selectively erase anything deemed illegal? I ended up using Dropbox as recommended.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
jerry7171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:31 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry7171 View Post
I read that using Amazon to host my library was a bad idea as Amazon supposedly would actively screen files and selectively erase anything deemed illegal?
that is still true, they will, and they can delete stuff or even ban you at their discretion, so it much depends on what you plan to keep there

I'd say that storing "downloaded" video is the greater risk and some plex users could be in for a nasty shock. Plex are disingenously relying on a disclaimer that they are not responsible for your cloud content, and Amazon have issued no waivers. Anyone dumb enough to store rips of Man in the High Castle, Mr Robot, the Grand Tour or other amazon exclusives will I predict be the first ones to be zapped/

To trawl though a calibre library and test for non-bought content would not be trivial - off -hand I cannot think how they could distinguish store bought epubs from "shared" ones, but dropbox anyway has better design and less onerous T&C

Last edited by stumped; 12-05-2016 at 02:34 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
amazon cloud, library folder