Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-10-2015, 03:30 AM   #1
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
The Past, Present and Future of the Printed Book

http://thewire.in/2015/11/08/the-pas...ed-book-14947/

This was much better than I expected, the article is mostly right concerning current atmosphere, I believe.

But I think the stagnation in growth is bacause those fiction readers who wants to have ereaders are all got them, and we have entered a slow expansion period. As the years pass, more and more people will turn to the ereaders. Youth adopted, rest would be slow.

It is not that ebooks are stagnating, but expecting growth rates in high two-digits every year until paper books are vanquished are naive. %20 ebook sales are more than good for a new thing. If you look at the emerging markets in ebooks, you will see the same trend. Up to %20-%30 percent very quick, then slow expansion.

What I don't get is why people are keeps saying that ebooks are dying. This data is not really hard to read, after all.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:06 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
People forget that digital music and mp3 players were around for a long time prior to the iTunes store opening in 2003 and that while the big local cd stores pretty much collapsed by 2006, people still buy a lot of cd's. Shifts tend to be more generational than instantaneous.

From my standpoint, the fact that younger kids tend to prefer physical books to ebooks is the more interesting thing. Some of that may simply be that most kids don't have their own money, and thus use libraries or trade books rather than buy ebooks.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #3
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I wouldn't buy a pbook novel for the most part.
There ARE exceptions, such as special editions I like to buy in a pbook format.

This year though I HAVE spent a fair bit on pbooks as it turned out.
Various Tabletop RPG books. I probably spent about $300 on these so far this year.
I also got a special edition of the hobbit, hardbound with a slipcase and embossed cover etc.. That cost me $100, so I have spent a fair bit on pbooks this year.

For me the future of pbooks are Special editions, Tabletop RPG books and that's about it.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote