Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
cranbone
cranbone began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Data Not Saving?

Hello all.

I have created a custom column called "Books to Read" in which I created sub-categories "To Read", "Reading Now", "Done" & "Maybe". It was a way of sorting that worked fine until (I believe) Calibre went to version 2.0.

So now after changes are made, I'll go back a week or so later (or after my current book has been read), and none of my changes are there. Instead, it goes back to previous settings. I have since tried creating virtual libraries, custom tags and the Book List plug-in. After some time goes by, I find the virtual libraries gone, custom tags gone, or the book lists gone (the plug-in is still there, just no data).

This last time I deleted the custom column completely, then created some book lists using the Book List plug-in. This morning I opened Calibre and there's my old custom column...back from the dead...with all my sub-categories the way they were. All book lists are gone as well.

I can't seem to find a way for Calibre to retain my data.

Can anyone help me understand?

Sorry for the long-winded post, and thank you!
cranbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbone View Post
Hello all.

I have created a custom column called "Books to Read" in which I created sub-categories "To Read", "Reading Now", "Done" & "Maybe". It was a way of sorting that worked fine until (I believe) Calibre went to version 2.0.

So now after changes are made, I'll go back a week or so later (or after my current book has been read), and none of my changes are there. Instead, it goes back to previous settings. I have since tried creating virtual libraries, custom tags and the Book List plug-in. After some time goes by, I find the virtual libraries gone, custom tags gone, or the book lists gone (the plug-in is still there, just no data).

This last time I deleted the custom column completely, then created some book lists using the Book List plug-in. This morning I opened Calibre and there's my old custom column...back from the dead...with all my sub-categories the way they were. All book lists are gone as well.

I can't seem to find a way for Calibre to retain my data.

Can anyone help me understand?

Sorry for the long-winded post, and thank you!
Do you have your Library folder connected to a 'cloud' (something like dropbox) backup? It may have restored an older Library. (There are tips in this forum for those who use this type of service with Calibre)

Do you have more than 1 Library (or a copy) on that system? It may have started using that one:
Search your computer files for metadata.db The folder it is found in is a Calibre 'Library'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
cranbone

Data Not Saving?

Hello theducks and thanks for responding!

1. No, there is no cloud-based location of my library. It is all on my local machine.

2. I have one folder called "Calibre Library" that Calibre points to. I found "metadata.db" in my library folder and also found "metadata_db_prefs_backup.json". Do you think I should delete the back-up? Maybe I should just delete both and restart Calibre? I suspect I'd lose my info though.

Thanks again!
Old 11-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hello theducks and thanks for responding!

1. No, there is no cloud-based location of my library. It is all on my local machine.

2. I have one folder called "Calibre Library" that Calibre points to. I found "metadata.db" in my library folder and also found "metadata_db_prefs_backup.json". Do you think I should delete the back-up? Maybe I should just delete both and restart Calibre? I suspect I'd lose my info though.

Thanks again!
Those are all correct. DO NOT MESS with the contents of any library. Severe damage is probable

The search was just to see if you had more than one Library (without your planning )

This is a total puzzle to me. If you had access issues, I would expect Error messages galore.
I guess you will need to wait for Kovid to step up to the plate, this is not a simple...'do this' that the forum helpers can handle.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
cranbone

Data Not Saving?

ducks,

I'll give the "delete the .db" file a whirl and hope for the best.

I really appreciate your taking the time to reply so quickly.

All the best...and

cranbone
Advert
Old 11-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Thumbs down

Quote:
ducks,

I really appreciate your taking the time to reply so quickly.

All the best...and

cranbone
NO
Old 11-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
ducks,

@cranbone - you'll die in despair if you don't have a backup of metadata.db and metadata_db_prefs_backup.json

The metadata.db file is the catalogue to your library - a library without a catalogue is like an internet without an domain name service.

The metadata_db_prefs_backup.json file is needed to rebuild metadata.db should it ever be necessary. If you just deleted metadata db then...

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@cranbone - you'll die in despair if you don't have a backup of metadata.db and metadata_db_prefs_backup.json

The metadata.db file is the catalogue to your library - a library without a catalogue is like an internet without an domain name service.

The metadata_db_prefs_backup.json file is needed to rebuild metadata.db should it ever be necessary. If you just deleted metadata db then...

BR
... Time to use
Library(icon): Library Maintenance: Restore Database

and HOPE

I don't understand why , when I said 'Don't Mess'
and explained why I had them look for the file