Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
What is the best Galaxy phone for the Kindle App?

I can get the following Android phones from ATT and I'd like to know which would be best to use with the Kindle App for Android:

1. Galaxy S3 Mini
2. Galaxy Note 3
3. Galaxy S4

Also, can I download free and use all my Amazon Store apps I now use on my Kindle Fire to one of these phones?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:18 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I can get the following Android phones from ATT and I'd like to know which would be best to use with the Kindle App for Android:

1. Galaxy S3 Mini
2. Galaxy Note 3
3. Galaxy S4

Also, can I download free and use all my Amazon Store apps I now use on my Kindle Fire to one of these phones?
These are all pretty much the same age so it depends on how big of a screen you want. My wife loves her Note 2, but I would never want to carry a phone that big -- personally I would probably go for the Galaxy S3 Mini (isn't there an S4 Mini? -- I guess these aren't all the same age, then).

As for Amazon apps on the Samsung phones ... I think you should be able to download them to any of the phones without problems. I've a got a few Amazon apps that I've always been able to move around on my phones without any issues. (But it probably depends on the apps and -- maybe -- their licensing agreements.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2014, 03:38 AM   #3
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
What is the best Galaxy phone for the Kindle App?

All of them should work with the Kindle app with no issues. I would go with the S4 because the size is just right; it's not too big and not too small. My mother has the Note 3 and I find it huge but she prefers big phones and she loves it. So if you want a very big screen, then go for the Note 3. If not, then the S4. If I understand correctly, you'll be using the Kindle App to read on your phone? If so, the S3 Mini is too small and would be uncomfortable in my opinion.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:04 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given the fact that you're 1000 years old and have cataracts, sirmaru, I'd get the one with the largest screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
You'll be able to download most of them. A few are designed for specifically for the Fire and won't download. They're identified by this in the title - "Kindle Tablet Edition". You might be able to find a workaround, but I've never bothered to do so.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You might enjoy the features of the Note 3 better. As far as any of the Androids go, the Galaxy Notes have the best default stuff. It's a proper smartphone.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:

1. Galaxy S3 Mini
2. Galaxy Note 3
3. Galaxy S4

I just got the Note 3 and the kindle app is much more responsive and usable now. I upgraded from the S3 but the app was very sluggish and unusable in the collections portion of the app. However keep in mind I had over 100 collections and over 4000 books in my library. I do not know which factor slowed down the app but it was not usable for me.

I really like the Note 3 with the app, it is much much better. And the bigger screen is much better, not to mention I am able to read in the sunshine on it.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
These are all pretty much the same age ... I guess these aren't all the same age, then).
Yeah, I would rate them, in newest tech to oldest
a. Note 3
b. S4
c. S3 mini (even though it came out to most carriers after the S4).

The S3 mini only has 1 GB of RAM, so I would avoid that model, as RAM use is one of the primary causes of lag on Android (the other is cache use, which can be fixed easily by occasionally invoking an app that frees cache in one touch).

You can moniitor your RAM use and get good results (that's what I do on my 1 GB phone), by a) limiting those apps that use up too much RAM, b) limiting widgets, and c) limiting total number of apps to a reasonable number (I've found that uninstalling 50 apps gets you about 25 MB more of free RAM). But it's easier to just get a phone with more RAM than 1 GB. Apps assume newer tech, so we're seeing more RAM use by apps as time goes by.

The S4 has 2 GB of RAM, and the Note 3 has 3 GB. The S4 mini has 1.5 GB of RAM, and is reportedly coming to AT&T soon.

I have no personal experience with any of these models. I would chose among those by size, dictated by eyesight and carrying ease. If you're like me with good eyesight and prefer a small phone, I would wait for the S4 mini to get that extra 500 MB of RAM.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #9
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
The main reason I didn't buy an S3 was because I was waiting for Samsung to bring out a higher resolution screen. Said screen makes a big difference for me in terms of eye strain and for that reason I'd recommend the Note 3 and S4 (in that order) for extended reading.

The only reason I didn't buy a Note 3 is because it wasn't out when my original Galaxy S died and I suddenly needed a new phone. I've never found the Note's size to be a problem.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 03-27-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just noticed that the Galaxy S5 is now being offered by ATT for delivery by Apr 11, 2014. Can I buy Apps from the Amazon store and load and run them on the S5?
Old 03-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I just noticed that the Galaxy S5 is now being offered by ATT for delivery by Apr 11, 2014. Can I buy Apps from the Amazon store and load and run them on the S5?
Of course you can. It's an Android device and Amazon sells Android apps.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard

How does one load Amazon apps to the Galaxy S5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Of course you can. It's an Android device and Amazon sells Android apps.
I have dozens of Android apps for my Kindle Fire. How, exactly, would I load them on the new Samsung Galaxy S5? That's the model I'm pre-ordering.

The display on the S5 is 5.1" and used in landscape mode would be close to the 7" of the Kindle Fire and the 6" of the Kindle PW. However, the S5 is only 3" wide to fit in my pocket. It appears that mobile phones, watches and tablets are moving closer together.

Its got a huge amount of new features not seen before including a linked smart watch, Gear 2, which links with it for displaying apps and making and receiving telephone calls. There will probably be quite a wait for new apps which work with that smart watch.

It would be great if I could read an eBook on that smart watch and not even take out the S5 from my pocket. However, I'm pre-ordering the Galaxy S5 now for delivery April 11 and I'll wait to order the Gear 2 Watch for Christmas. I don't want too much learning overload at one time.

Last edited by sirmaru; 03-28-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Download the Amazon Appstore. It should work for any Android device.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Thanks for the great advice. That's what I needed.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 PM   #15
el.jeffe58
Vocophorian
el.jeffe58 began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HDX7, Voyage, PW2, Touch 3G, Fire TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Are you saying there is an app called the Amazon App Store in Google Play and that the apps there works just as well on android vs the Kindle HD or HDX? I know they are both android but am not familiar with such an app. Thanks.
el.jeffe58 is offline   Reply With Quote