Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
pargoo
pargoo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite v2
another cover vs thumnbail head-scratcher

I just downloaded "God Emperor of Dune", and was surprised to find that although the ebook has a cover - the horrible yellow 'Gateway' one - I am getting only the generic 'Kindle' thumbnail in my Paperwhite, the one with the white panel across the middle. Those who followed the saga of my last thread concerning thumbnails will know things like this tick me off. My final solution last time was to copy a new image into the hidden 'thumbnails' directory from my PC, thus replacing the unwanted thumbnail with a better one. Simple. But GEOD is not generating any thumbnail at all, so I can't use that method. Is there any way I can 'tie' my own thumbnail to that particular ebook 'blind', so to speak?
pargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Are you sure the Sigil subforum is the right place for questions about Kindlebook thumbnails?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moving to Kindle. Not a Sigil question.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Kindle only generates covers for sideloaded pdocs.

Any Kindle Store books it will wait for Amazon to put the thumbnail on.

You can create it yourself, using the following naming format: "thumbnail_{ASIN}_EBOK_portrait.jpg" where {ASIN} is the book's Amazon ID. You can also allow calibre to do the work for you -- any book with a valid amazon mobi-asin calibre will transfer to the Kindle together with its corresponding thumbnail. The thumbnail calibre generates wil be based on the calibre cover, not the one in the mobi/azw3, and as an added bonus, if the book is in KF8 format, calibre can update that cover inside the book too!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
pargoo
pargoo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite v2
Eschwarts: thank you for your reply! That was what I needed to know. Did NOT know that the thumbnail's name was in fact the ASIN. This how we learn, kids!
pargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert