Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
U Press of Kentucky: Own a print book? We give you the e-book for free!

Here's a very cool development from the University Press of Kentucky. The scholarly publisher just launched a free e-book loyalty program, allowing anyone who owns the print copy of one of their titles to receive the electronic edition for free. And it's remarkably easy! All you have to do is send them a photo of yourself holding the book.

Quote:
  1. Check the list of eligible books: http://www.kentuckypress.com/live/li...?skip=0&max=25 (400+ available and counting).
  2. SUBMIT your photo by using the form below.
    *Please make sure that the title of your book is clearly visible, AND include an email address with your submission for ebook file delivery*
  3. Receive a complimentary PDF edition of your book within 7–10 business days
[via Book Riot]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Kirok
Enthusiast
Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iPaq
Whilst I can see that a commercial author wants to turn a profit by getting as many sales as possible whereas a tertiary institution has an outreach responsibility to encourage literacy, this is also a significant promotional tool, in effect doubling the value of their books. I wonder - given that the eCopy is pdf - if you can copy the text? This would be a great boon for students quoting an academic work.
Kirok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
About copying text, it all depends on the user rights settings they applied when generating the PDFs.

First thing that came to my mind is how someone could say that this loyalty program is easy to abuse. You know, the same arguments of those who support DRM - if you don't protect it, people will pirate it. Think about how easy it is to just grab a UP Kentucky book from a library or from a friend to make a photo of it. I am sure they've considered that and yet, they went ahead with the program. Kudos to them!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
But - how would they even know that's the right person in the picture?? A person who bought one of their books? Do they take a picture when someone purchases, and so they're able to verify?

I mean - why a picture of a person? Why not a picture of a sales slip or invoice?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
That is a great idea!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
But - how would they even know that's the right person in the picture?? A person who bought one of their books? Do they take a picture when someone purchases, and so they're able to verify?

I mean - why a picture of a person? Why not a picture of a sales slip or invoice?
And how many of us have sales slips still around for books on our shelves? The beauty of this is that you don't need any proof but the book. OK, sure, I suppose it _could_ be abused. But really, how likely is that? I think this is a great idea and will only help to encourage sales and use.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I browsed a couple of the pages and am pretty sure I don't own any of the books. I was pretty sure before that as I have given almost all of my paper books to charity shops.

Great deal for those who own one of their books in paper or want to own one of their books in paper or collectors of certain types of books.

Wonder what the position is on those that buy the book and sell or give away the paper copy. Probably not a big concern.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
When this was first posted I thought it somewhat interesting and browsed through the eligible books. I saw a few that looked interesting and clicked on one to see its pricing which was more than I was willing to pay...

paperback $27.95
cloth $39.95
web pdf $39.95
epub $39.95

...so I figured I'd check it out on Amazon. At Amazon the eBook is $23.90 (B&N $23.99, Kobo $24.79) which was still more than I wanted to pay, but the hardcover was only $5.76 (now $4.73 & $35.99 at B&N) so I thought why not get the HC and try out this new program. I got the book quickly thanks to Prime and it's quite a doorstop @ 1,070 pages, took a picture and followed their submission instructions on August 20th.

A few minutes ago I got three emails from "Hopkins Fulfillment Services eBooks". One telling me an account had been created for me with login info, one an order update and one with some download info. None of the emails mentioned U of Kentucky Press or the title of the book in question, but from the Hopkins Fulfillment website it's pretty clear they do fulfillment for various university presses. I went ahead and used the login they'd sent and was able to download the PDF copy quite easily. The PDF is DRM free and appear to be a pretty standard basic PDF created from an Indesign file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirok View Post
I wonder - given that the eCopy is pdf - if you can copy the text? This would be a great boon for students quoting an academic work.
Yes.

The PDF has no security set, meaning you can copy, print and do other things to it without any issues.

Just thought I'd share the experience in case anyone was interested.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
alvina
Connoisseur
alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Because it's more fun for them I think.
alvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvina View Post
Because it's more fun for them I think.
Exactly. It's fun and quirky, which makes people smile and talk about it. Every business wants word of mouth, and I bet this has generated a lot of it.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
Exactly. It's fun and quirky, which makes people smile and talk about it. Every business wants word of mouth, and I bet this has generated a lot of it.
Well, that IS a point.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Wonder what the position is on those that buy the book and sell or give away the paper copy.
I buy few books. But when I do, unless it's reference, I toss it.

Hopefully, no one is horrified

Reread? I hardly ever do it. And if I did, it would be decades from now. It wouldn't make sense to me to drag the book from dwelling to dwelling, or even from eReader to eReader.

So, um, I did just buy a brand new $4.73 + tax, free shipping, University of Kentucky doorstop from Amazon -- perhaps the same one AnemicOak discusses in #8:

http://www.amazon.com/Beetle-General...r+Bedell+Smith

Wasteful? Well, it's no different from what publishers do:

http://editorialass.blogspot.com/200...s-printed.html

As for the wisdom of Kentucky's program, it must be an experiment, and I hope it works for them. Best case for them is if the offer causes the sale of the lowest priced used books, so the remaining used books become more expensive. Then the people who don't like used anyway will be more likely to pay for new.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
-- perhaps the same one AnemicOak discusses in #8:
Yep, same one.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I think it's a great idea but poorly implemented. Why not provide a single use code on the receipt that customers can input on a website in order to download the ebook? I can see people getting together and passing a copy of a book between them while taking pictures. Free books for everyone!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:12 AM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I think it's a great idea but poorly implemented. Why not provide a single use code on the receipt that customers can input on a website in order to download the ebook? I can see people getting together and passing a copy of a book between them while taking pictures. Free books for everyone!
It's pretty obvious that they want the pictures so they can pick some to use for publicity and advertising. (And to privide enough friction to avoid swamping their servers and killing all demand for paid ebook sales.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote