Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
jape
jape began at the beginning.

Device: none
kobo touch dies 2 months out of warranty

Looks like my touch died completely. I'd always had problems with the touch screen being flakey but now it has stopped responding to touch completely. Tried a factory restore, but still no response to touch.

Very disappointed overall with my whole kobo experience. Will be avoiding their products like the plague in the future.
jape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jape View Post
Looks like my touch died completely. I'd always had problems with the touch screen being flakey but now it has stopped responding to touch completely. Tried a factory restore, but still no response to touch.

Very disappointed overall with my whole kobo experience. Will be avoiding their products like the plague in the future.
sorry to hear this - is it switching on and off? Presume you have already tried the pinhole reset?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Sorry to hear that. Hope it works out for you. Never any fun when the gadgets break down.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Guessing you've probably tried hitting it with a can of "compressed air" duster just to make sure there is nothing blocking the IR around the screen's edge.

If doing the pinhole reset doesn't do it, maybe it's worth contacting Kobo just to see if they'll give you a break... Though, honestly, if you've had touch problems all along while under warranty, why didn't you make them resolve the problem then?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Guessing you've probably tried hitting it with a can of "compressed air" duster just to make sure there is nothing blocking the IR around the screen's edge.
Another option is to run a cotton swab that's been dipped in rubbing alcohol around the edges of the screen. (Rubbing alcohol evaporates faster than water, and is less likely to leave a residue.)

But yeah, Kobo may be a good company to avoid until they've cleaned up their development process. I haven't had too many issues with their product, but it seems as though a lot of people run into bugs -- especially after firmware upgrades.
Advert
Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
I had a Touch do this as well. Would turn off/on without a problem but the IR sensor appeared toast. Sent Kobo an email and they replaced it with a refurbished but newer than what I had Kobo Touch. So far no problems with the replacement.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
If you purchased your device in Australia it would be worth trying the retailer first, you never know. If approached politely many will aim to please.

Also be aware you have rights under "statutory warranty" in Australia, you could argue a device worth $120 or whatever you paid should be good for more than 2 months beyond Kobo's written warranty period.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-06-0...rights/2749924

Edit: link added

Last edited by RickyB; 04-05-2013 at 09:19 PM.
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
jape
jape began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for all the pointers and suggestions! This forum seems far more helpful than Kobo itself. The original touch problem I had seemed mostly related to swipe. Swiping pages would occasionally result in touch stopping to work. Since a reboot solved it and it wasn't too frequent I just let it go. I did try contacting kobo back then, but it was tedious business (ie did I try turning it on and off (duh), etc) and they stopped replying.

I tried debugging it (there should be some old thread here somewhere) and it seemed that the touch events were not being emitted by the kernel/driver, so it was probably either a driver bug or a hardware issue. I had hopes that a firmware update might solve it, but it never did.

I'm in canada so we get a year warranty by law (?). I purchased the device 14 months ago

I didn't realize that there are ir detectors on the edge. I'll try cleaning it, though I would expect dust buildup to affect some regions but not all simultaneously.

I decided to get a nexus 7 for my ereading purposes. Not as good as a dedicated reader but adequate for my needs. So far no touch problems on the nexus 7!

Thanks again.
jape is offline   Reply With Quote