Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
jpchan
jpchan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Sudoku

Hey just a thought. I love doing Sudoku puzzles in my spare time. I was thinking that a thin sheet of hard plastic to protect the screen, a sheet of transparency paper cut to size and a grease pencil/ would turn the sony reader into a portable sudoku puzzle book.

I've looked to see if there is anything out there to do this but have yet to have found anything in the usual places. Anyone else try something similar?

Justin
jpchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
You could use a self stick plastic wrap cut to size like they once did for a TV show called Winkie Dink & You
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchan
Hey just a thought. I love doing Sudoku puzzles in my spare time. I was thinking that a thin sheet of hard plastic to protect the screen, a sheet of transparency paper cut to size and a grease pencil/ would turn the sony reader into a portable sudoku puzzle book.

I've looked to see if there is anything out there to do this but have yet to have found anything in the usual places. Anyone else try something similar?

Justin
I wouldn't do that if I was you. If you place a thin sheet of hard plastic on your screen and there happens to be something in between them like a piece of sand or so, it will probably scratch your screen. Also Sudoku portable computers retail for less than $10,- so why the effort?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Sounds a bit more complicated than on the iLiad ;-)

You can generate sudokus for your reader on Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com/news/sudoku
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien
Sounds a bit more complicated than on the iLiad ;-)

You can generate sudokus for your reader on Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com/news/sudoku
That may be so, but there is NO WAY TO FILL THEM OUT!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
On the iLiad and on paper you can fill them... No input for the PRS-500 means that real working Sudoku will be tough. Might be possible now that we can flash the firmware. Same stuff if we release crosswords in the future. You can't blame Sony for it, it's just 2 different devices: one focusing on book reading, the other on input/network capabilities.
iLiad gets the touch pad and the wifi, PRS-500 gets the lower price and a good resume function.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
jpchan
jpchan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
Well I was thinking that one could have in the reader the puzzle and then using the transpancy paper and the grease pencil to fill out the puzzle. then one could say page forward to see the completed puzzle.

I was thinking of using a hard plastic cover underneath the transparancy paper to provide some added protection for the screen but I'm thinking that if the grease pencil was soft enough you could just use the transparancy paper.

I was also thinking that once could get the lines printed on the paper first then all you would need to have in the reader is the numbers.
jpchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:46 AM   #8
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Thumbs up => . . . VERY good Sudoku by obelix !!!

Hi!

There's a very well working sudoku for SONY-PRS ereaders by obelix ("SUDOKU game for PRS-500 and PRS-505" in "MobileRead Forums > E-Book Devices > Sony Portable Reader").

I had to change line breaks in the template files (= sudoku puzzles) to UNIX in order to run on my 500, though. Now everything works fine and I'm thinking about how to get the game running from internal memory to save power ...
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I cut them out of the local paper. Keep them behind the back cover of the Reader and use the BACK of the Reader when I fill them out. Easy solution, works fine.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
New Hampshire -- Cool! Me, too. I'm in Nashua.

I have Soduko on my Palm Tungsten T5 which is always with me, so I have taken it off my Sony Reader. It worked fine but was too slow and so not as much fun as I had hoped. and since my Tungsten is with me whenever I'm awake enough to want to play Sudoku, it's fine.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:35 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
New Hampshire -- Cool! Me, too. I'm in Nashua.

I have Soduko on my Palm Tungsten T5 which is always with me, so I have taken it off my Sony Reader. It worked fine but was too slow and so not as much fun as I had hoped. and since my Tungsten is with me whenever I'm awake enough to want to play Sudoku, it's fine.
I used to have a GF who used to live in Nashua, NH. My parents live in Lexington whihc is about 30 min drive away from Nashua up route 3. I'm a little bit farther away. I'd have to say maybe 50-60 min from Nashua these days.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote