Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: When will we see a $49.99 Kindle?
Christmas shopping season 2012 26 40.00%
Christmas shopping season 2013 23 35.38%
2014 or later 7 10.77%
never 9 13.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
When will we see a $49.99 Kindle?

Right now, the lowest Kindle is priced at $79.99

When will see a Kindle priced at $49.99? (it's just a matter of when not if)
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I can see it happening within the next 2 models.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wi-fi only (this help lower the price)
Special Offers (this help lower the price)
Get rid of unneeded feature (web browser, mp3 player etc....)

Just a functional ereader at the lowest possible price.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I don't want one.

I want a Kindle that won't freeze when you have a huge archive of thousands of books.

I want a Kindle that organizes with folders and subfolders, not just collections.

I want the above Kindle, with a touch screen, and a black bezel.

That would be worth $100 to me.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top100EbooksRank View Post
When will see a Kindle priced at $49.99? (it's just a matter of when not if)
It'll happen this Sun (29 Apr) at Walmart

Upcoming sale: Kindle at Walmart ($79 with $30 gift card)
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I don't want one.

I want a Kindle that won't freeze when you have a huge archive of thousands of books.

I want a Kindle that organizes with folders and subfolders, not just collections.

I want the above Kindle, with a touch screen, and a black bezel.

That would be worth $100 to me.
So did I. I bought a Nook Tablet.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
So did I. I bought a Nook Tablet.
E-ink is what the topic was about, isn't it?

Anyhow, tell me where I can get a Nook Tablet for $100 (legally) and I'm there!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I voted Christmas shopping season 2013, but I would not be surprised if the cheapest Kindle reached the $49.99 price by Fall 2013--just in time for the new school year.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I remember on this forum several years ago a similar thread but the target was $100. The consensus was that ebooks would not really take off until we had a $100 reader. Some said it would never happen.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I vote for 2012, but I cringe to think of what the build quality will be on a $50 e-reader.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
I vote for 2012, but I cringe to think of what the build quality will be on a $50 e-reader.
Kindle 4 - a basic, bare bones ereader.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Kindle 4 - a basic, bare bones ereader.
In that case, I think I'll stick with my Kindle 3. Imagine what would need to be done in order to shave an additional $30-$60--are we talking KSO or not?--the price!
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I can see it this Christmas to undercut the other readers out there and get anyone who doesn't have a Kindle on board
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
I can see it this Christmas to undercut the other readers out there and get anyone who doesn't have a Kindle on board
I agree and Walmart is getting the ball rolling starting Sunday with a $49 K4 sale ($79 + free $30 GC).

When Black Friday rolls around, a new Kindle will be out and the K4 will be last year's model. I can see Amazon keeping it at a $49 price point for just the reason you stated.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
In that case, I think I'll stick with my Kindle 3. Imagine what would need to be done in order to shave an additional $30-$60--are we talking KSO or not?--the price!
The K4 isn't that bad; and at $49, I can see people buying several for increased flexibility. Why subject your favorite ereader to mass transit abuse when you can get a $49 model for that purpose? Buy one for the office and keep it there. Get one to take with you for appointments or traveling. Do you really want to take your "good" ereader camping?