Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
What is the most basic, no frills e-reader out there?

Currently I do all my reading on either a laptop or an iPhone. While both work well enough I'd really like to get a simple e-ink reader that I can use as the eye strain can be problematic after a while on the backlit screens.

I do not need wi-fi, super long battery life, MP3, touch screen or anything fancy. Really the most basic one out there that won't break in one month is what I'm looking for.

I've looked through all the forums of the various brands and it's just too much to take in with comparing features of this versus that so I'm looking for your suggestions on choices I should look into.

The cheaper it is the better .. thanks for your help!
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Denko
Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Denko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
With the new NST, i'd say the old one is easy to get sub 99$. Great quality, low price.
Denko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Well I would recommend rather than transfering from a laptop and/or iphone to use an ereader in conjunction with what you have now. You will find that your iphone is better for situations where space is going to be a premium such as when you are going on vacation or back and forth to work. The place where the phone is a real pain is the fact that the such a small screen does not allow for the display of much text per screen so you will be hitting next page a lot.

That said the most basic one that I have run into would be an Aluratek Libra Pro. Not fancy but get the job done, has no wifi but does have the mp3 player and can read jpegs and gifs as well. I had two before I bought my current kindle. A kindle is good but its not the most basic one out there.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
The Basic Kindle is fairly inexpensive.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=famstripe_k
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't think that there are many e-readers out there that are less expensive then the Kindle Non Touch, aka K4, at $79. Go to Walmart and you can get one that comes with a $30 gift certificate to spend on something else.

You do not get all the bells ans whistles of a KT. There is less memory, it is not a touch screen, it does not have text to speech, and the battery life is not as good, but it costs $79.

I believe the Sony T1 is being sold at many a Best Buy for around $80, you might need to check on that.

The Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Touch, and Kobo Touch all have a $99 version. The Kobo Touch is the most basic of the three models but I would go for the KT or NST because they do offer more in terms of goodies on the device and why pay the same price and get less?

Essentially, the basic e-readers tend to have a good amount of goodies on them and cost under $100.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I believe the Sony T1 is being sold at many a Best Buy for around $80, you might need to check on that.
50 quid?? That's pretty much what the cover costs here!
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I did not check your location. That price has been found only in the US. Now if you have a US based friend who would get one for you and ship it to you, you would be good to go.

Which of course negates the Walmart deal as well.

My bad.

Kobo and the KNT are your best bets for a cheap e-reader in the UK.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
I don't think that there are many e-readers out there that are less expensive then the Kindle Non Touch, aka K4, at $79. Go to Walmart and you can get one that comes with a $30 gift certificate to spend on something else.

You do not get all the bells ans whistles of a KT. There is less memory, it is not a touch screen, it does not have text to speech, and the battery life is not as good, but it costs $79.

The Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Touch, and Kobo Touch all have a $99 version. The Kobo Touch is the most basic of the three models but I would go for the KT or NST because they do offer more in terms of goodies on the device and why pay the same price and get less?

Essentially, the basic e-readers tend to have a good amount of goodies on them and cost under $100.
Nook Simple Touch is on sale now for only $79
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
^ this. I bought 3 on Sunday - 1 for me, 2 for gifts.

Sale details:
  • Dates: Sun 29 Apr ~ Sat 05 May 2012
  • Price: $79 w/ free $30 gift card
  • gift card issued at time of sale
  • gift card can be used immediately to purchase other goods
  • in-store only - not available online
  • no quantity restrictions
  • limited to stock on hand - no rain checks
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

delete
Old 05-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for your help all. I ended up ordering the Kindle Special Offers off Amazon and look forward to receiving it soon.
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:06 AM   #12
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry, I did not check your location. That price has been found only in the US. Now if you have a US based friend who would get one for you and ship it to you, you would be good to go.

Kobo and the KNT are your best bets for a cheap e-reader in the UK.
No worries - it was more a gasp of astonishment that they're that cheap! Even taking sales tax into account, that's a big difference - no wonder Americans think Europe is expensive!

Yep, the Kobo is currently the cheapest here - a lot cheaper than the Kindle.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Yeah, Europe is way expensive. I am always shocked when I travel there. It is nuts. The VAT is a large part of that difference but overall, things are just more expensive.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
LuvReadin
Addict

Yep - dollars = pounds, pretty much. Although at least the VAT's included; no further
shocks at the till!
Old 05-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I personally have seen several chinese versions with LCD screen going for as low as $35! Though they only have upto 4 hours of battery life.
For e-ink,I preferred the astak EzReader Pro, because it's just a gem! Long battery life, many file formats, simple but solid OS, and I bought mine for only $50 at geek.com!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote