Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
jbadam
jbadam began at the beginning.

Device: nook touch
What I'd like to see

Hey guys, been using Calibre for like 8 months, just found this forum and have had some desires for Calibre burning in the back of my mind for a long time. Kovid, your tool is great and it's obvious why it's the standard for this market.

I use a Nook Touch, and split my time evenly between reading epub novels, ,PDF papers, news feeds, and practicing Chinese which I'm learning by reading both novels and newspapers in epub. I don't have any real skills beyond a small appreciation of the scale of a project in software development, and I realize that my suggestions are just things I personally would like to see, and that they may not add much to other users' experience.

First, about conversion. The Nook isn't intended to display Asian characters. It will because of its native Android character set, but it has to be "tricked" into using this by declaring that set's use within the epub, which for me has always required me doing so via using Calibre to convert the file first into a .pdf or some other filetype (depends on the file--one combination may work for one book, but will screw up the layout on another), and then converting back into an .epub with the .css injected. What's annoying is that I can't just convert from one .epub to another .epub without that intermediary .pdf stage.

To segue into my next suggestion, if Calibre could inject that .css between downloading the source Chinese newsfeed and constructing its .epub, that'd be really helpful.

As for the newsfeed, I use a laptop and download scheduling is designed to work with Calibre being open all the time. That's not me. If Calibre could ask my computer for the date to calculate whether or not to download from a source every time I open it, that'd be more useful for me. I know there's a "download all scheduled" button, but sometimes I want one source updated much more often than another.

Also, there's an option for classifying each feed by tags that I can set myself, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the way the feeds are stored in Calibre, nor on my Nook. I haven't explore it too much, but if I could organize things on my Nook itself by my interest (without resorting to doing so on the Nook itself, every single time I update the newsfeeds), that'd be really helpful.

That's it for now. Thoughts?

JBA

Last edited by jbadam; 01-22-2012 at 02:49 PM.
jbadam is offline   Reply With Quote