Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Temporary Ghosting?

Hey - I have had my Kobo WiFi for almost exactly one year. In the past week, I've noticed that after my Kobo has been 'ghosting' the cover art and the menu - mostly after sleeping. And the light ghosted images last until I change pages in my book or hit a new page of any kind.

This is a brand new thing - it never did this before. It makes me wonder if my screen is about to fail - or if this is a battery thing.

Has this happened to anyone else?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
how has the heat been in your home? is it colder than usual? I could see with the weather changes, and if you haven't turned up the heat, it could be affecting the kobo...
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Yes...it has been colder in the house! And I've been storing it on the window shelf too, which is probably a lot colder lately. I will move it to a warmer locale and see if that helps...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The screen has oil in it so the colder it gets the thicker the oil gets, and that leads to ghosting.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Yes...it has been colder in the house! And I've been storing it on the window shelf too, which is probably a lot colder lately. I will move it to a warmer locale and see if that helps...
from the sounds of it, that's probably your issue. one thing to keep in mind is that one of the e-inks component is oil; the colder it gets, the greater the viscosity of the oil, which will slow down the responsiveness of the screen and will leave ghosting behind.. the warmer the weather, viscosity decreases and ghosting goes away..
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
The screen has oil in it so the colder it gets the thicker the oil gets, and that leads to ghosting.

yeah, what he said!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I never knew this - that's the good thing about this message board, you learn something every day.

We're heading into summer here so hopefully it won't be a problem for a few months and I never noticed it over the winter
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote